ccna lab

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Jaytee2305, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

Hi

I'm new to this part of the forums so take it easy on me please!

I have nearly done my MCSE and want to start on the CISCO track. I have a few questions

1) Is it worth doing it with a training provider? Commsupport seem to have a good package

2) Do I need a lab such as the one below?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISCO-CCNA-Ro...ryZ73321QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3) What should I start with CCNA or CCENT?

J

Certifications: MCSE, Network+, Server+, HP APS
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on what you want to do. You can either take the single exam CCNA or the two-exam CCNA track which includes the CCENT. If you have a good bit of Cisco experience, you can probably pass the single-exam CCNA. If you don't have a lot of Cisco experience, you might find that there's less information to consume at a stretch with the two-exam track... plus, you'll get a bonus certification! :)

You can do it with a training provider, or you can do it through self-study. That choice is up to you, though I would recommend self-study.

I'm bad with picking out lab equipment... as soon as I think I have a good lab setup, the requirements change. I've long since gave up trying to keep track of it all.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Not much I can recommend without knowing your experience.

As for lab setup, where do you want to take the Cisco side of things up to? If you’re objective is the CCNA and nothing more, then I’d suggest using simulators (try vendors like Boson; Transcender; etc…). If you intend on going for the CCNP and beyond, you’ll want to look at getting real gear if it’s possible.

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

To be honest I'd suggest you go for the self study route i.e. buy the required books, sims, labs preferably if you can afford it.

On the other hand writing the exam in one go for the CCNA would be my choice but again its up to you. The most important thing to remember is not just acquiring the cert but the knowledge both theoretically and practical hands on aspect in terms of problem solving.

Best wishes and remember with hand work, determination and drive it can be achieved and done:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

Thanks for the replys. I want my CCNA but I've read that the SIMS don't always do what the exam require. Is this true and if I went for hardware lab what would you get and why?

6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

go for the lab. it'll give you more experience having to physically handle the units plus it looks way cool having a room full of cables and hardware :)

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Transcender doesn't offer a router simulator. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I was sure they did, but I just checked … :ohmy
    To counter the ‘false’ advice from earlier here are some valid options other than real lab equipment:

Simulators:
    RouterSim
    SemSim

Rack Rental:
    The Bryant Advantage

Note: I’m not necessarily recommending simulators / rack rental over real equipment. However, depending on the needs of the individual, the lab equipment will take more resources (i.e. time to obtain; space & power; money) and therefore may not be the most suitable option.

10. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

can someone take a look at the lab in my previous post and let me know if it is any good

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The lab above from ebay would be more than suffice for the CCNA if you do decide to purchase it. The other positive thing is that you can add bits and bobs to it as you see fit in the near future if needed.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i need to sort my self out with a CCNA lab at some point this year now ive got my MCTS under my belt :)

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. CheeseOnToast

CheeseOnToast Nibble Poster

Just to add, I'm doing my CCNA through the Cisco Academy at my local college and to be honest I have found it great, and helps with motivation.

Although, I think I have a really, really good tutor.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA