CCNA Lab

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zebulebu, Jan 12, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I have decided that Cisco will be my certification focus this year. I did my CCNA prep a long, long time ago (over five years now) and never bothered to take the exam. This time I'm planning on cramming my way through it in about two months, then moving on to either the CCNP or CCSP - depending on discussions with my new employer.

I'm currently going through the process of buying my lab and wonder what anybody who has recently done the CCNA considers a decent setup for the CCNA - that will still last me when I move on to the CCNP. I know I'll need to expand when I move forward to the later exams, but am hoping that the routers I buy now will still be usable for my CCNP studies.

At present, I plan on getting 3x2600 series routers, a couple of 2950 switches, a 2511 (for use as an access server), all the relevant cables and maybe, if my budget can stretch to it, an ISDN simulator. I've got access to IOS upgrades, so should be able to ensure I run a decent level of IOS on them all.

Does that seem like a reasonable level and amount of kit for the CCNA?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Wow! Zeb, that's a lab and more for the CCNA as that would suffice for even the CCNP and up to the written level of CCIE. Well not with VOIP included:), joke apart as over a year ago I did prepare for the CCNA but never took the exam.

In terms of software simulators I found network emulators great plus for a price tag of under £20. I believe the web site is networkemulator.com.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm bad with Cisco kit... as soon as I think I know a good setup, things change. I've given up... and simply use whatever's at the company I work for at the time. :)

Zeb, since you're cramming anyway, are you interested in product testing? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - now how did I know you were gonna ask me that?

:)

Serious answer - yes, but, since I've only just started my new job I'm not sure I could give it the attention you need. I'm not sure when I'll start studying, so can't give you a timeframe - I'm going to be learning a LOT of stuff I've never used before on this role (SANs, MPLS etc) but, provided you're OK with waiting what may end up quite a while for the feedback you need, then PM me and we'll take it from there.

Cheers!

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

zeb i asked the same question as you mate.. so i had to dig a little on the net and i came accross a lot of good answers on the Cisco CCNA Prep Discussion boards including lab diagrams. I dont want to post them here cause they original work of someone there so if you want to have a look - there is a lot of useful info on them:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. BosonMichael

Well, you know I value your opinion... so I thought I'd ask. :)

If you discover in the near future that you'll have 30 days free-and-clear that you can use to study, just let me know, and I'll see if we still need product testers for it. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

Hi
    I am about to take my CCNA ICND1 exam

Your lab would definitly be up to the job!
    I have a 2600 and 2x 2500's. They are all fine, but 2600's all the way would have been a bit better

For the 2600, just make sure you have enough interfaces, preferabbly 2 serials I would say, in addition to the ethernet (unless you get one with 2x ethernets)

An access server isnt really needed I dont think. Im doing ok with a 4-port serial switch

ISDN simulator is definitly not needed. ISDN is no longer featured in the latest CCNA course.

You will need the updated books that came out after August last year

FYI, my lab is:-
    2x 2507 routers (2 serial, 1 ethernet)
    1x 2600 router (1 ethernet, 1 serial WIC)
    2x 2950 12 port switches
    DTE/DCE adapter cables and a few ethernet cables
    Serial switch box

Good luck :)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That's superb - cheers for the info.

Are you sure ISDN is no longer covered? I heard that people were preparing for the exam and had been told that - but had a rude surprise when they took it.

Looks like my lab will be pretty much up to spec then - I've just managed to avail myself of a couple of Catalyst 2950s too, so that's nice!

9. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

well ive read the first book up to almost the end now, and not a single mention of ISDN! There are references to DSL, so maybe that has replaced it?

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  10. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

ISDN is def out, none of my guys have reported any questions on it in the exam.

for a top lab get 3 x 2610's with an image that does intervlan routing c2600-d-mz-12.1-11.bin, it's old but it allows you to do intervlan routing on a 10Mbs interface.

The perfect set up is to cable the routers in series, with a switch at either end.

For practising Spanning tree just a couple of cross overs and away you go, make sure the 2950's you have support RSTP

switch(config)#spanning-tree mode ?
    pvst
    rapid-pvst
    mst

If it does not show the rapid then you need another IOS for the switches.

As for ISDN

Just know:
    ISDN 2 = 2 x 64k bear channels and 1 x 16k data channel
    ISDN 30 = 30 x 64k bear channels and 1 x 64k data channel

That probs all you would need to know, so ISDN is 100% out!!!

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That's awesome info, cheers. I've had so many conflicting opinions on whether ISDN is in or out - two people who have posted here now are certain it's gone, so I won't bother with the sim. I'm familiar with the basics of ISDN anyway - hopefully if anything DOES come up I'll be able to answer it without having practiced it in my labs. I kinda guessed it was gone anyway as the price for ISDN sims on EBay has fallen way down in the last couple of months :)

Just checked and the catalysts I've got do support RSTP - cheers for the heads up.

Actually configured a vlan on a production switch (2960) for the first time in years today - surprised I could still remember how to do it! - I probably shouldn't mention that I set the link speed wrong on the interface I was configuring initially, causing me to panic for a while when the interface I'd put into the VLAN wouldn't come up :oops:

Joe - do you know how in-depth the CCNA goes on OSPF? I'm guessing that its probably pretty heavy on RIPv2 and EIGRP, but that OSPF, whilst covered, isn't gone into in much depth. Also, should I bother with MPLS or BGP at all? I shouldn't think either of those would come up at all, but it would be nice to have some kind of an idea as to whether its worth wasting my time on them!

Cheers for the advice so far - looks like all I'll need to get for my lab are another 2600 and a 2511 (I've just come into possession of 2x 2610s)

12. BosonMichael

Your mileage may vary, but RIPv2, EIGRP, and OSPF are covered roughly equally. Study them all.

I don't recall anything about MPLS or BGP, nor are either of them listed here.