CCNA lab kit advice

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Mr-P, May 4, 2007.

1. Mr-P

Mr-P New Member

Hi

I am currently working my way through the Intro for the CCNA and have the following kit:-

1 x 2611XM - WIC-1T & WIC-1B-S/T (96D/32F) IOS 12.2
    1 x 2516 (16D/16F) IOS 12.1
    1 x 2513 (16D/16F) IOS 12.1
    1 x 1912 switch

I was also looking at picking up an IOS based switch. I looked at the 2950 but I believe this does not support ISL from what I could see on the cisco site. Would I need to cover ISL for the ICND? If I can get hold of a 3500 series for a decent price would this be a better idea considering progression to CCNP at some point?

Would it be wise to get hold of an ISDN simulator to help with the ICND?

Also are the above IOS versions OK?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: ?
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi, I'm not really that upto date on cisco kit, but if your looking to progress beyond the CCNA then I'd suggest that you get hold of the best kit that you can afford.

If I recall correctly we used the 2950 switches as part of the Cisco Network academy and other than in theory (know what it is and how it works) ISL was never covered, so as long as you know this I think that you would be fine.

Rather than getting hold of an ISDN simulator, which won't be cheap why not see if you can get hold of some routing simulator software, such as Boson. Alternatively there are websites that allow you to 'hire' rack time in their virtual racks, may be worth a try.

I'm sure that someone who can better answer your questions will be along shortly with links and stuff, but in the mean time welcome to CF!

8)

3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Catalyst 3550s support both ISL and dot1q tagging. I've got two of them myself and they were very useful for passing the CCNA. So if you can afford one, by all means go ahead and get yourself one.

The 3550 is also useful for the CCNP BCMSN (multi-layer switching) but it's certainly not the be all and end all as I'm currently finding out. There are certain features it doesn't support, like private vlans for example. For that I'll probably need a 3560 or a 3750.

My best advice is to buy the 3550 if you can afford it. Don't worry about the CCNP just yet. Just concentrate on the CCNA for now.

WIP: CCNP
  4. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

There was a rumour floating round one time that cisco will be making some changes to the ISDN in June. Maybe even phasing it out altogether. I have no confirmation of this however, so keep an ear to the ground, o.k ?

5. Mr-P

Mr-P New Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

@Headache - thanks for the heads up on the possible removal of ISDN. I noticed on amazon that there is a new version of the cisco press Intro due to be released in June with the ICND to follow in August. So would tie in time wise with what you have said. I'll wait and see.

WIP: ?
  6. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Always glad to assist.

Bear in mind though that it was only a rumour. Cisco might decide to take it out, leave it in, or simply change a few thing here and there. There's no way to tell for sure until June.