CCNA LAB for Home Practice

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by stuffedhaggis, Jan 9, 2012.

1. stuffedhaggis

stuffedhaggis New Member

Hey guys i am looking for some adv . I am due to start studying my CCNA and was looking to get some info on what do you think was good equipment to use for learning.

I managed to get 2 old 1760's (Wic1t cards included) 64/32 with 12.4(8a) ADSL plus on them and a 3550 switch from work.

Any ideas on what else i should get or should this do ?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Just use GNS3 or packet tracer or both, you can simulate all the labs you need using these programs without having to spend out on equipment!

It is nice to have the hardware, but then when you are finished you will still have to offload it and you may lose money?

I've just started studying for my CCNP and I am just using GNS3, its all you need, even Jeremy Ciora who presents the CBT nugget video training advises using GNS3, and thats saying something!

Hope this helps?

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

You can not do switch work on GNS3 and BGP is buggy as hell so good luck with that :).

@stuffedhaggis

If you can get a 2950 switch or 2 and that should do you tbh, a third router wouldn't do any harm either though. Packet tracer is great for CCNA as well, but there is no substitute for experience with real kit.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I agree about the switching, however, although it's nice to get hands on, there is absolutely no difference in the IOS set up it is exactly the same and I have already configured BGP with no problems using GNS3 so you're wrong there.

My point is, like Jeremy says, he spent probably £11,000 on kit over the years when he could have done all his labs virtually, to me thats a great saving! But yes, if you can afford this sort of money for your studies then go right ahead, I am still at the start of my career and do not have that sort of money on tap let alone £500 for a couple of routers, I'll stick to GNS3 for my routing and MPLS studies thanks!:D

5. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I'm going to be getting around to dipping my toe into the Cisco pool so to speak. I was also going to use Packet Tracer or GNS3 (these are both sims that roughly do the same thing right?). What is the issue with using these for switching and can they be used to simulate switching or do you need hardware?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  6. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

No-one needs to spend £11k on kit for CCNA or CCNP and not for CCIE either. What Jeremy does is exceptional and I don't think he ever recommends anyone to get the kit he has.

GNS3 is buggy if you have not found any yet then fair enough, I did find them and used real kit for BGP. You'll notice that Jeremy uses real kit for BGP not GNS3 as well. Having gone through CCNP recently and encountered weird bugs mainly with BGP but also in some redistribution labs in GNS3 I would recommend a mix. Do not just rely on GNS3 as it will let you down at some point.

For reference, for that £500 you mentioned can probably get everything you will need for CCNP in real kit. £100 would easily cover a CCNA lab especially if teamed with Packet Tracer.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  7. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

hiya, as you can see i'm an advocate to using GNS3 for your studies, I did use packet tracer for all my CCNA work and it is fine, I would just use packet tracer if you are at CCNA level and then back it up with the purchase of some good study materials such as Cisco press books, Sybex books and CBT nuggets and buy practice exams.

The difference between Packet Tracer and GNS3 is that packet tracer is a simulator whereas GNS3 is an emulator (uses the actual IOS that the devices use which you have to obtain, either by sourcing from Cisco or from an actual device).

However, if you wish to use GNS3 for CCNA thats fine, but it is better to use it at CCNP level due to the emulation capability. This is not the case for switching as mentioned above but I include a good link that explains switching by Jeremy Ciora below:

Switching - GNS3

I am not advertising the above, just pointing out a link to useful information.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Millsie

8. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Cheers for the heads up mate. Cleared up my question.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)