CCNA lab - again!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Sparky, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah - I know this has been done loads of times. :biggrin

But whats the standard for a CCNA lab these days? I have a 2600 router and PIX firewall up the loft that I need to dig out first but I think I'll need to add a few devices to that setup.

Any pointers would be helpful.... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

You'll need minimum 3 x 2610, although 2611's would better, anything with a pair of ethernet port and 2 x cat 2950 switches

The routers will need serial interfaces, 4 x WIC-1T's

2 x DTC/DCE back to back cables

and the usual straight and cross over ethernet cabs

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cheers mate, eBay it is then!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Could I pick your brains as well, Mr Lab Rat, and ask what you think is minimum for the CCENT.
    I'm not planning on doing the full CCNA yet so would be looking for kit which is reasonably future proof and scalable to CCNA specs.
    From what I've seen of the CCENT (i.e.passed the online CCENT my work provides) it doesn't seem as if I need to do much more than get some hands-on with the IOS, in which case a router could be sufficient (at least, my wallet hopes it is)

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Or what about this Dynamips I keep seeing being mentioned places??

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

We don't speak of that here :)

Good Luck Sparky!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I shall go and castigate myself for mentioning bad things! :(

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. danielno8

Yep it's a pity though! Cisco's own forums don't even mind :)

9. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

I have a CCNA kit of years of old. It's made up of two 2500s and a 2600, coupled with two 2900XL switches. They're running 12.1 and the kit came with the Cisco Press books for the CCNA and everything else that is needed. Obviously I am using aged pieces of kit, but you get the idea of what is needed.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  10. contiva

contiva New Member

Packet tracer is enough to pass the CCNA. AS far as I recall it has all the functionality to do all the labs required.

Certifications: MCSE MSCA MCITP:EA MCITP:SA MCITP:Messaging MCITP:SQL 2005 MCITP:Virtualisation CCNA CCNP VCP:3.5 CCA:Xenapp CCA:Xenserver
    WIP: CCNA:Voice
  11. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Packet tracer will get you through the exam but it doesnt support some of the commands for example punning.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  12. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

The IOS supports joke telling now too ? What'll they think of next.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  13. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

Hi,

I would get 3 x 2611XM routers with 128MB Dram and 32MB or 48MB Flash. That way you will have two fast ethernet interfaces to play with and these routers (with correct IOS image) can do everything in CCNP too. You will need some WIC-2T cards or WIC-1T (2 per router) for serial connectivity. The 2621XM is just as good if you see one cheaper. Important bit is the XM! They also run SDM etc

For Switches, the 2950-12 is hard to beat.

Hope that helps

14. anandsoft

anandsoft Bit Poster

For entry level certs like CCENT and CCNA, a software based network simulator is recommended. They come with scores of labs preloaded. You can also check out h??p://routersimulator.certexams.com/network-simulator-designer.html
    See several labs here h??p://routersimulator.certexams.com/router-labs/index.html
    As you can see in the web page, 100+ labs are available. Further, the software allows you to design your own labs.

Note: just replace h??p with http

15. danielno8

packet tracer is a network simulator.....I'd also say the recommended path would be to use real equipment, and then network simulator software in the event you can't afford/get access to real kit.