CCNA Issue

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by zimbo, Sep 2, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i was having a converstion with a guy i work with and just wanted to clear some stuff up.. CCNA when was the last upgrade? I know in 2003 the exams became 2-optioned (601 , 611 and 621) Knowing a time frame of about 6-7 months is needed to fully understand the stuff is there enough time to get it before the next upgrade?

Second how long is the cert valid for till you have to re-do the current exam? 3 years?

Thirdly is it true that the 3 years start from the day you are certified? Eg you become CCNA on 1 jan 2006 it expires on 1 jan 2009 regardless of updates?

just a few questions we pretty clueless about and cisco.com isnt clear :(

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm not entirely sure whaty our asking..

updates to the exam are not usually on a set timetable, there will be plenty of warning before a change usually

correct, it expires after 3 years
    doing a higher level course (CCNP/DP) replaces it with the CCNx expiration timeframe of 2 years
    after the times up, your no longer a CCNA/CCNP/CCDP whatever, unless you re sit the current exam

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Zimbo, concentrate on the certification you are currently studying for. I know all the cert selections look delicious but eat one bite at a time. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im not thinking of it.. its the other guy that is we just raised a few questions... :biggrin

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oops. My bad. :oops:

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no worries trip :biggrin

so if he gets certified lets say next june....and cisco decide to upgrade the CCNA objectives in November let say, what does he have to do?

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

First of all, Cisco just updated the CCNA exam so I don't see them changing it again so soon. Do you have a particular source of information that says a change is about to happen?

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no no im just saying its not a cert i have done research about.. thanks trip

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I took the old Cisco test just one week before they changed over to the new testing format. My cert is good until the 3 year time limit on a CCNA runs out. Cisco doesn't invalidate an existing cert just because they change their testing format. You just take the new exam needed to update your cert when the time comes to renew your certification. That's all there is to it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1