CCNA in Training!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sonics46, Mar 22, 2011.

1. sonics46

sonics46 New Member

I graduated pre-med from Emory U. in Atlanta, GA, but I need some cash before I jump off to med school. I'm talking at least 3 - 6 years here. A friend of the family said I should train for CCNA certification and the Juniper equivalent. He works for AT&T makes 6 figures and can get me an interview. All I have to do is get the certifications.

What do you think? Is this a smart move?

I know this is the fastest growing industry with the lowest unemployment rate. So, it seems like a smart move to me. I'm a quick learner, and computers and computer-related material come naturally to me.

I think I'm going to give it a shot starting with the CCNA double exam (ICND1 and ICND2 I think) rather than just the single exam. Does that sound like a smart move to you guys?

I will do the Juniper part next.

I should say that I'm not familiar with TCP/IP information, but that I am hoping that will be in the Cisco textbooks ( I bought 3 haha).

By the way, my nickname is Cisco! I plan to visit this forum often. Peace.

-Francisco

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The CCNA isn't a cert for someone who wants to work in IT or make money fast.

The CCNA is a cert for people who already administer and support cisco hubs and switches. There are no fast routes into IT you need to start with entry level certs and work your way there.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

+1 apart from the hubs bit, I didn't think cisco made hubs!, If I'm reading this right you want to do a couple of mid level certifications and to jump straight into an IT role configuring routers and switches so you can pay to go on and do something related to the medical practice!? I'm afraid that "all you have to do is get the certifications" isnt strictly true if you count the years spent on helpdesks and moving on up the ranks to become a network switchy guy (at least not in any company I would want to work for).

Good luck if you choose to try but I would have thought that being a doctors receptionist or something alongside medical practice would be more beneficial to you. But then again I could be barking up the entirely wrong tree when I assume by med you mean medical.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

oops yeah meant router but hub aint far of a router anyway :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I disagree with not being able to undertake the CCNA without experience but my view is you would have to learn it over an extended period of time (1 year) without experience and have a home lab or through a college etc.

I agree with the guys that by the sounds of it you want to do the cert in as shorter period as possible and I would advise against this as simply you won't learn the technology in a few weeks or months and when faced with a problem and you screw up a businesses network then it goes to say you won't come out the end of it well. There isn't really an avenue to walk into a 6 figure salary unless your a genius and regardless of what you do you still need to know the basics first before doing a CCNA. Another person on this forum done his CCNA without knowing the basics and is completely out of their depth. Don't make the same mistake if you want a career in IT.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Your mate probably could get you an interview, but as he said only if you get the correct certifications. However just because he can get you an interview does not mean his company will take you on! Unless they have a trainee scheme in place, but either way it will be a good few years before you earn anywhere near his alleged wage.

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

I concur with this post regarding the CCNA.

But would also like to add it is best practice to get a basic IT job so you learn your trade an become a respectable IT tech that knows hows to fix and maintain computers even if its just for a few months.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  8. michael78

Totally agree that is the preferred method but not everyone get the chance to do that and have a logical career progression.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

True, but nothing preventing them from studying A+ and repairing damaged computers from ebay or building PCs.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  10. michael78

100% as no matter what you do you still need to know the basics first.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

GBL you need to do your N+ again :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)