CCNA Hands On for Self Study

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zimbo, Jan 3, 2008.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Now that i got my books out the way... the next step is how i will get my hands on training. Now i have seen there are two options:

Virtual Routers and Swtiches like packet tracer and boson software

The real deal Cisco routers and switches

Of course the first one is much cheaper - but can everything be done with the software until i find the money to buy actual hardware?

Next question is what will i need for the duration of the CCNA (640-802 that is) - does the new CCNA use other models of routers and switches?

Whats the best source to get these? Ofcourse there is ebay and ciscokits? Anyone delt with ciscokits?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Can you do everything? With Boson's NetSim, no, not everything... but you can do everything that's required for you to pass that exam. :)

Certainly real gear is better. The question is always what gear to buy... and I'm bad at giving advice regarding that because it changes so frequently. I usually just use whatever gear is available wherever I work, ensuring that it's on a somewhat recent IOS version.

With a simulator product, you don't have to worry about what gear to buy... what you need is readily available.

Personally, I'd beware of gear on eBay. There's a lot of counterfeit Cisco gear being sold out there. I once bought a batch of WIC-1ENET cards from a reseller, and had a horrible problem with them. After much frustration and travelling back and forth between distant sites, I found that the cards we had bought were counterfeit... none of them would provide accurate clocking, so no link could be established. Replacing at least one of the cards in the point-to-point link with a genuine card (so it could provide clocking) was enough to get it to work.

As a result, I'm now a firm believer in getting Cisco gear only from authorized sources. I won't make the same mistake twice, that's for sure!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So i can get along with simulated switches and routers for now? :D I too am very sceptical about ebay. Thats why i asked about ciscokits. :biggrin Thanks for the input mike!

4. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

I got 3 Cisco routers, a 24 port switch and all the leads for under £100 from ebay.

Regards

Toasty

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If possible try and get some Cisco kit, always good to patch your laptop directly in and then use putty for some command line fun and games! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

What models should i be looking at guys? :biggrin

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

For a switch get the 2950 series 24 port and any router should pretty much do as long as its not the 1600 series:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not sure to be honest, but I hope to move onto the CCNA this year if I can get the MCSE finished!

:gun -> 70-297

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Is 24 port really needed? 2950 it is then.. but 8 or 16 should be fine... and cheaper???

Routers looks like i been reading 2500 series.. whats the difference between 2501, 2502 and 2503? :blink

Also what routers are covered in the new CCNA?

Thanks for the input!

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I wasnt too keen at CCNA until i finish uni but after doing a little protocols in uni this last semester and more networking to come i thought its time.. and it will help me with uni as well cause i will have seen the material before! 8)

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

To be honest a 16 port on a 2950 switch would be more than enough, on the other hand yep it would be cheaper as well. In terms of the syllabus you're better checking on cisco's web site for an update opinion and coverage.

The differences in routers 2501, 2502 and 2503 is just the IOS versions as the commands are pretty much the same. Lastly, the 2500 would be more than enough for this exam as well. I once purchased a simulator for the CCNA course and it was cheap as well as brilliant, check web site networkemulators.com. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks guys! Anyone know of somewhere good i can look to buy kit from? 8)

13. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

15. BosonMichael

Actually, the differences aren't in the IOS... all three models can have the same IOS. The difference is the interfaces included with each model router.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for pointing that out:)

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So which models are needed? :oops:

18. BosonMichael

I told you I'm bad with picking kit... :D

Get one with the interfaces you want to have... at least, that's what I'd do.

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

next noob question is what interfaces i need? 8)hahaha sorry mate! :oops:

20. BosonMichael

Whatever interfaces you want to connect things to... ISDN, Ethernet, Serial, whatever you desire.