CCNA Failed

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Monkeyspit, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Monkeyspit

Monkeyspit Bit Poster

Hi people , I'm new here , Just thought I share with you .

I went to take my CCNA exam today and failed miserably.

I got 809 ....with 849 being the passing grade... I managed to get 58% on Implimentation and operation..the rest of my scores were in mid to low 80's. I think this is where I tripped up as they were sims and probably quite healivly weighted in the scoring area.

I did give a few ACL based and switch based questions away which I'll definately need to sharpen up on, i should have known the answers.

Its a struggle but I'm really hoping to hit it on the next go.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Sorry to hear about the exam, but you definitely have the right approach to nailing it next time!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Welcome.

It is a tough exam, no question. But you didn't do too badly either. You were less than fifty points away from certification which isn't bad at all. All you need to do now brush up on your weak areas and next time you'll surely sail through.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Unlucky on the fail mate, but as Headache said, you were close!

Good luck on your next attempt, im sure you'll nail it 2nd time around :)

Also, welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Jammo

Jammo Bit Poster

Unlucky mate. But (and this has already been said but hey) You really weren't that far off. You'll get it next time!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Best of luck on your next attempt!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ajshakey

ajshakey New Member

Good luck on your next attempt. doesn't seem like there's very far for you to go to get that pass.

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Good luck next time matey.

Hit the books hard between now and the next re-sit and you should be OK. that's only about two or three questions away froma pass, so knuckle down and you'll ace it next time around!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

It sure takes guts to a publicly admit to a fail :cry:

But take heart, work tirelessly on your weak areas and then
    You will surely pass.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  10. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

That is still not a bad score!

Time for another go in a four to six weeks, as a candidate has to balance increasing their skills - but avoid going stale/off the boil.

Remember the difference between someone who succeeds and someone who does not succeed is that the successful person has failed more often....[cludged from somewhere]

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  11. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Good luck for your retake. As has been said, you had a decent score, you have a pretty good foundation. Practice more on live routers if possible, I find the best way to really understand the material is to try and configure it and then break it ;)

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It always hurts to not pass but it's not so bad if you learn from the experience. Sounds like you've sized things up and know where to concentrate your studies. The sims are rather heavily weighted but they act exactly like the real thing (except for help functions, of course).

I recall setting up a configuration in a sim (I can't remember exactly what it was) and the sim let me test the connectivity. When on my first attempt, I hadn't made a connection, I went back over the config and figured out my mistake. It was nervewracking fighting against the clock, but as long as you don't click on to the next question, you can work on a particular sim until you get it right. Just a thought.

Good luck on the retake and "knock 'em dead".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Monkeyspit

Monkeyspit Bit Poster

Thanks for the support , It means alot . I think I would have felt alot worse if i kept it to myself.

I've re-booked it for next week, taken time off work and have a full 7 days to get back up to scratch.. fingers crossed next time I might pull through.

14. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck on the retake.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  15. jpowell79

jpowell79 New Member

I really feel for you mate! I've failed this exam twice now!

First time I was extremely naive, thinking I could use a cram-book and just memorize everything.....Oh how I was wrong!.....got 570 or something similar in my first test!! :biggrin

I've just re-taken the exam again today, (after doing some real studying this time!) and am gutted!! I got practically the same score as you did.....so close!!! :(

I plan to re-take again next week.....third time lucky I say! :)

What really annoyed me was that I think I got some of the easy questions wrong....I was ok with the sims as I've been practicing non-stop with them.....and my subnetting / access-lists is ok as I made sure I spent ages practicing them.....

Here are some examples of silly questions I got wrong!!

Removed content specific to the exam.

I did have one question that still puzzles me though.... I know the answer was definately between two possible answers.....but didn't know which one to go for....

Removed content specific to the exam.

what are your thoughts on this question guys??

BTW....Good luck with the re-take 8)

Certifications: A+, MCP2k Pro, MCP2k Server, CCNA, CCNP
    WIP: CCIE
  16. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

a. Read the NDA

b. Read up on the advantages of VLANs - I don't remember 'costing money' as being a factor (and hey, this is cisco, do you really think 'don't buy a router, they cost money' is an answer they would be looking for?) :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

jpowell79, I removed the actual questions you posted from your CCNA exam since posting them violates your NDA and puts CF at risk (we don't want to be even remotely thought of as braindumpers). I "stored" the data where the rest of the staff can see it and either confirm or refute my decision to remove it.

Nothing personal, mate.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

To add to what Spice_Weasel has said, it's also important to practice on real or simulated switches as well.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  19. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Good luck on the retake - it's a very hard exam and 800 is a good score. I failed first time as well. I spent ages on the sim question then ran out of time at the end.

Just go over theory questions, practice labs and subnetting so you do it like lightening. You're very nearly there.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Know how to subnet in your head. Time management is critical on the exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!