CCNA experience abroad

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ftaran, Mar 2, 2011.

1. ftaran

ftaran Bit Poster

hi, i have the opportunity to go abroad and be trained and work for a government CCNA network lab, i have no experience of this kind of job now but i would be trained on the job, have access to equipment at all times and gain valuable experience. i wanted to know if i was to do this for a year, would i be able to come back to UK and have a chance of getting a CCNA related job?

*I have 2.1 honors degree in comp science and am CCNA certified.

2. suicide

suicide Bit Poster

Go for it. Seems like it will be a great experience. The job market for CCNAs here in the UK is dead. There seems to be more demand for CCNPs with voice or security experience. If you do one year abroad, it will look good on your CV as well

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Ofcourse you would. Any experience is experience wether you do it on the moon or do it on earth :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would have imagined the Aliens network kit was a bit more advanced than ours ;)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. greenbrucelee

Especially the ones that live on the Moon.:D

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would agree, it would definitely benefit you. You shouldn't have to worry about experience abroad not counting in UK.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. ftaran

ftaran Bit Poster

:D thanks for the replies everyone, i was wondering what other certificate would be nice to have to go along with my CCNA, for example MCPs, as i said before i have no work experience and most of the jobs where Im going are administration roles, any ideas?

8. greenbrucelee

You should get some entry leve certs like MCDST or MCITP windows 7. Since you have got this job then your CCNA os fine but unfortunatley the CCNA is for people with experience and without the experience having it could harm your job prospects. If you didn't have this job I would have suggested you take the CCNA of your cv.

Stardard entry level certs are A+, N+,MCDST and MCITP any other certs generally certs that you need experience to go with them.

9. ftaran

ftaran Bit Poster

the mcdst is to retire on 30th of June, is it still worth it or should i go for MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7?

10. greenbrucelee

If you can get the MCDST done by then it is worthwhile if not go for MCITP 7