CCNA exam route - 2 exams or 1?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by ciscosam, Sep 2, 2004.

1. ciscosam

ciscosam Bit Poster

Which of the two would you recommend? Let me know if you've done the two-exam path as I'd not heard of this before...

A single-exam path that includes exam #640-801

OR

A two-exam path that includes exam #640-821 (Introduction to Cisco Networking Technologies, or INTRO) and exam #640-811 (Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, or ICND).

Cheers :biggrin

WIP: CCNA
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Myself, I went the 640-801 route, but I thought they had discontinued that for all but those that go through the netacademy, However, I could be wrong.

My advice is if you can still do the 640-801, go for that. Reason being that it is only one exam, and when you pass your a CCNA. If you have to do two exams, you'll spend time revising for one, do it, pass, and then repeat, so it'll take longer to achieve (and probly more expensive, but don't quote me on that!).

However, it may be easier to break it into two sections, and therefore less stressful.

Just my .02 p :biggrin

HTH

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

from what i understand you can still do the single exam route
    and if possible i would
    its a bit more packed it
    but it saves you worrying twice, increases your chances of passing, covers just as much stuff, and saves you 100 quid (this may of changed)

the two exam option does (used to) go into a little more depth, partly because it can ask that many more questions, but the single covers more than enough, and if you plan to go onto CCNP and CCIE you will solidify your knowledge that way anyway

hope this helps

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. typhoon777

typhoon777 New Member

Hi Sam,

I just took the two exam route via courses with Azlan but decided to do the 801 single exam and boy was it hard.(failed miserably..and I did the CCNA 4 years ago but it timed out)

Some of my friends are taking the two exam route in the next few weeks so i will let you know what they say.

5. Bunchuza

Bunchuza New Member

Hi guys, i am new, considering taking the ccna 1 & 2 exam does any one know where it can be taken or whats its called ?,

Certifications: none
    WIP: ccna
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Bunchuza and welcome to CertForums. Since you seem to be asking a brand new question, you might want to consider starting a new thread rather than posting on a thread that's fairly old. I think you'll get more responses that way and they'll be more uniquely suited to your situation.

Also, when you get a minute, please go up to the New Members forum and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear about you. Glad you found the place. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Chris Bryant, CCIE

Chris Bryant, CCIE Bit Poster

Sam,

This question gets asked a lot, believe me. It really depends on your level of current skill and whether you've taken a Cisco exam before.

I wrote an article a while back that goes in-depth on this question:

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/Page16.html

I hope you find the article helpful. And one exam or two, best of luck!

Chris Bryant

Certifications: CCIE #12933, CCNP, CCNA
    WIP: CCIE Voice
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hello Chris. Welcome to CF. We don't get many CCIEs here. If you wouldn't mind, pop up to the New Members Intro board and tell us a bit about yourself if you haven't already. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Chris Bryant, CCIE

Chris Bryant, CCIE Bit Poster

Thanks for the welcome, and I already did. :)

Certifications: CCIE #12933, CCNP, CCNA
    WIP: CCIE Voice
  10. dapex

dapex Bit Poster

I have just found this old thread and I need to clarify something. Ciscosam says the 1 exam is 640-801 and the 2 exam route is 640-821 and 640-811 but reading the article that Chris Bryant wrote, that says that either route is the 640-811 exam but the 2 exam route also includes 640-821....

Which one is right?

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

From the cisco website..

Required Exam(s) Recommended Training 640-801 CCNA [​IMG]
    Introduction to Cisco Networking Technologies (INTRO) [​IMG]
    Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices (ICND) [​IMG]
    OR
    [​IMG]
    Required Exam(s) Recommended Training 640-821 INTRO [​IMG]
    Introduction to Cisco Networking Technologies (INTRO) [​IMG]
    640-811 ICND [​IMG]
    Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices (ICND)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. joey

joey New Member

just the type of post i was for posting lol.

Ill try to be as simple as i can. I have decided to go with CCNA, now i want to take the one exam route as i feel i am up to the task.

Now what i am not sure of is that once you take the exam #640-801, r u a CCNA. nothing more to do.

Also how much is it to take the exam alone while your doing self study.

Certifications: NONE :(
    WIP: CCNA/MCSE