CCNA exam queiry

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by supermd, Feb 18, 2009.

1. supermd

supermd New Member

Hi All,
    Long time lurker, 1st time poster here.
    I've been working in IT Support for a good few years but mostly in the desktop side of things. In the last year I've moved on to Infrastucture/telephony (Avaya).
    I've been dablling in some work with the Cisco guys and want to get stuck into that a bit more.
    I know the CCNA exam has been updated recently but I need something clarified a bit. I'm a long way off being ready for the exam but to clear it up, can you take the ICND1 & ICND2 separately and combined this equals CCNA or alternatively take just 1 exam that combines the 2, which gets you the CCNA?
    If so, which is the route most taken? If this is not the case what exactly is the exam structure.
    Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I have been getting conficting info.
    Thanks for reading.

2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Hi Supermd,

The page you need to check out on the Cisco website is HERE

Yes you can sit just the one exam to earn your CCNA which would be 640-802 or you can take it in two parts 640-822 ICND1 & 640-816 ICND2.

I'd suggest taking the two exam route so you only have to concentrate on half the material at any one go. Plus as soon as you pass the first half (640-822 ICND1) you gain Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician cert (CCENT).

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with Hg's assessment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. supermd

supermd New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I thought it was sort of like that but needed to hear from people who knew.
    I think thats good advice about taking the 2 part route too, I've been out of the studying thing for a while and I am in no great rush to get certified.
    I ordered Wendalls ICND1 book last night so will get reading when that arrives and loitering around the Cisco guys at work and around here too.
    Cheers,

5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Have you done CompTIA Network+ yet?

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  6. supermd

supermd New Member

No, I haven't done the Network+. I did my MCSE a few years ago, so did the Network Essentials component as part of that. I re-read my book on that not long ago as I think it was the most worthwhile and in my mind, most interesting part of the MCSE.
    I wouldnt mind getting the study guide and material for the Network+ just to get fully up to speed and wouldn't rule out doing that cert 1st at this point in time.
    I've neglected the studying for a while you see and Im working in a team of guys who, mostly, really know their stuff so I've decided to get back good habits and hit the books.

7. BosonMichael

Certifications aren't always so you can learn something new... they're so you can show an employer what you can do. If you already know the Network+ material, it couldn't hurt to knock it out real quick, then move on to something more advanced. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If taking the 2 exam route, when looking at study materials etc, can i just buy regular CCNA materials, and pick out the topics required for the first part, then do ICND2 and study those topics?

Trying to get together the correct materials and come up with my study plan etc now that i have my lab equipment.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. BosonMichael

You can, but in this case, I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, if you use Cisco Press to study for the CCNA, you have to get the ICND1 and ICND2 guides.

10. danielno8

why is that?

Looking on the Cisco Press website, there seems to be lots of material for different levels of knowledge. I have sat the cisco netacademy CCNA course, completed all the modules. What would you recommend i get as a must?

I have been looking at thebryantadvantage.com and the material there sounds good, and is only something like $70. Incluses lab exercises etc. Would you recommend this?

Thanks
    Daniel

11. BosonMichael

Because the single-exam CCNA books might not break out the content into ICND1 and ICND2 sections. That's the whole reason why people tend to take both A+ exams together - because everything sorta overlaps and mixes together. Not saying that's definitely how it is with the CCNA books... but why take that risk?

I've never used Chris Bryant's stuff, so I can't really give you a recommendation for or against.

I would recommend, at a minimum, Cisco Press and/or Sybex's books and some hands-on experience, either with real Cisco gear or with a router simulator. Practice exams can help you assess whether you're ready for the live exam. Obviously, my opinion is quite biased as to simulators and practice exams, so I will simply recommend that you download demos of each and try them for yourself.

12. danielno8

How does this sound for a plan then:

I have lab equipment purchased from eBay - 3 Routers, 2 Switches cables etc

Bryant CCNA Study Package - This is broken into ICND1 and ICND2

Sybex CCNA and/or Cisco Press

And finally, for exam practice something from yourselves at Boson (trialled the demo a couple weeks ago and looked good)

When it comes to the practice exams from yourselves, considering i plan to do both ICND1 and ICND2, should i get the practice exam for both ICND exams, or would getting the 640-802 prepare me as good?

Thanks for your help mate.

13. BosonMichael

If you're taking separate exams, then the separate practice exams are the way to go. With the single-exam CCNA ExSim-Max product, the content of both ICND1 and ICND2 will be mixed together... you won't be able to separate the two.

Thanks for your support. :)