CCNA (CCENT) Books

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by zimbo, Dec 26, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im going the two exam route for CCNA and im looking at my book options. Im a bit confused in the difference between the following two exam guides (apart from the price that is!):

Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1)

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide

Which series do you guys recommend I use? If the more expensive one is a better book explaining then im prepared to spend the money on it.

Other books im looking at are:

Todd Lammles CCNA® IOS® Commands Survival Guide

CCNA Portable Command Guide

What you guys think? Any other books i should be looking at?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Both are good for studying the exam. The Exam Certification Guide (ECG) is very directed towards the exam, and I think (my books are at work, so I can't check) the ECG has questions and answers after each chapter, whereas the other one doesn't... but to be honest, I usually prefer the non-ECG guide.

That said... either are good. I usually buy them both... one book generally fills in many of the holes that the other book leaves behind.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So the ECG will more likely stick to the exam material and the Self-study one will be more in depth? What any other books that will help me along the way? The other question i wanted to ask is are Cisco exams like MS exams? Meaning in the MS exams you find questions related to experience scenarios? Does Cisco stick to the material you have studied for?

4. BosonMichael

Depends on what material you've studied, I guess! :D

No publisher (not even Cisco Press) is going to be able to stay on top of exam changes that could happen at any time. Learn the concepts, and you should do fine.

The difference between the two books is hard to describe. I guess I just like the content and layout of the Self-Study guides better than the ECGs. Is it more in-depth? Hard to say... I can't verify that it is or isn't for each section... but it seems to be. In any case, it's different. What I would recommend for you to do is to go to your local bookstore and actually compare them in the store. See which one you like better... what I prefer may not be what you prefer. In any case, either should help you to pass.

Cisco exams are not like Microsoft exams. There are some exams with scenarios, but the Cisco exams tend to have shorter questions, and sometimes, a graphic and/or command-line text. Unlike Microsoft exams, you CANNOT go back and review your choices.

You might think that shorter questions would be a good thing. Not so... time is your enemy on Cisco exams. You have VERY little time to read through and answer each question! When I take a Microsoft exam, I always have time left over. When I take a Cisco exam, I sometimes run close to the time expiring!

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Yes it kinda, let me try re-phrase.. MS say you need 1 years experience for most of their exams right? And they do test you on various technologies in the exam that are not directly related to that exam. In the CCNA exam there is no prerequisites to taking the exam so does this mean you are tested solely on the material you find the CCNA books?

For some reason i think i will go with the self study book, i read on the cisco press site that this series doesnt just focus on the material needed for the exam but looks at the topic as a whole - which is what im looking for. What other books should i be looking at?

6. BosonMichael

There are no prerequisites for Microsoft's exams - they simply recommend experience. Cisco doesn't post any recommendations for experience, although they probably should.

You are NOT tested solely on the material you find in the CCNA books... but that's true for ANY exam (Microsoft, CompTIA, etc.). As I stated before, NO publisher is going to be able to cover every single thing you MIGHT find on an exam. Not Cisco Press, not Sybex, not even Cisco's own Cisco Academy courseware. But they will lead you in the right direction, and will probably give you more than enough information so that you can pass the exam.

It's up to you as to what other books you should try. I usually buy two different references from two different publishers... for Cisco exams, usually Cisco Press and Sybex.

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Yes i was going to use the Sybex one as well - i have heard man good reviews for it. What i mean other books.. what other books are good to look at not just the study guides..

8. BosonMichael

Dunno, mate... Cisco Press gives me just about everything I need! :)

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So no IOS command books like i mentioned in my first post? :biggrin

Lets talk hardware now.... :rolleyes:

btw Mike thanks for all the help so far!

10. BosonMichael

Learn how to use the IOS, and how to use the commands that are already found in your Self-Study guide, and you won't have a need for an IOS command book. ;)

I'm always bad at judging what hardware to get. I usually just use whatever's at work. At my last employer, I had a few production 1721s and a couple of 3640s. My current employer has a lab full of routers and switches (plus the production stuff).

T'is my pleasure... glad to assist.