CCNA Case Sudy Assignment HELP!! lol

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by roost3r, Dec 31, 2005.

1. roost3r

roost3r Bit Poster

Hi all hope you are all well and had a nice xmas.
    Im back again for a bit of help if thats OK

I am currently studying CCNA through the cisco academy and i am at the end of first semester and i have to do a case study which i am struggling with a little and would appreciate any ideas for what i have to do.

Basically i have to design a network for a company,it has to have 7 subnets which i can calculate no probs but where i confuse my self is with what hardware to use. I realise each subnet will need a router interface in order for the subnets to communicate with one another, but what is the best way to do this. do i just find a router with 7 or more ethernet ports and then have a switch for each subnet to connect to it?? or is there a better way. i am going to use cat 6 cabling running at 100 mbps and then for server room i will have gigabit ethernet in full duplex mode but although i understand the concept and theory of it obviously i havent designed a full network before and am unsure of what routers or switches to use

hope ive made sense lol heads a bit mashed today

any ideas would be appreciated

thanks a lot

roost3r

Certifications: CISCO IT Essentials Instructor
    WIP: CCNA, Foundation Degree
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sound simillar to something was given in CCNA2.

I will PM you with the details.

8)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What you need to use is called VLAN Trunking.

4. roost3r

roost3r Bit Poster

thanks very much for your help simon feel a bit calmer now lol

all the best for new year too

roost3r

5. mickeypendu

mickeypendu Bit Poster

Interesting scenario.

I would look at the switching method using say cisco 2950 switches which run at 10/100 with trunking between the swtches if needed using 802.1q (the trunking method used on the 2950). You can create a seperate VLANs for each subnet therefore seperating their collision domains.

Certifications: ccna
    WIP: ccnp
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Some great advice on your first couple of posts there, mickeypendu. If you get a chance, why not pop up and say hello in our New Members area, and get to meet the rest of the Guys here. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. roost3r

roost3r Bit Poster

Back Again lol

Thanks everyone for there help so far

ive decided to do 2 different networks(one vlan and one traditional Lan)

Im just bit stuck in the best way to do the traditional lan

if i have 7 subnets within one building and i need them to be able to communicate with one another what is the best way to do this without using a Vlan set up and only using routers and switches. Im just unsure, i know that i will need a router inteface for each subnet but what is the best way to do this?

any ideas would be appreciated as im on the last stretch of the assignment and i am really happy with it so far and couldnt of got this far without help off everyone here

thanks

roost3r

8. mickeypendu

mickeypendu Bit Poster

If I get you right your traditional network would be a legacy network were users connected to a hub, which may of been connected to some kind of bridge or router (if wide-area connectivity was required). Multiple hubs were interconnected to allow more users on the same segment. However with the cascading hubs there would be a bigger collision domain resulting in problems in your network hence the advent of VLANs which could seperate these large collisions domains.

Cisco.com is always a good place to do research although finding stuff can be difficult. However try this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/nd2012.htm

Hope it helps.

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The only forseable way that I can think of to do that without using VLANS would be to have each subnet connected to a router configured with access lists?

As I don't think that you can get a router with 7 ethernet ports on it you may have to use several routers linked through serial links.

8)

10. mickeypendu

mickeypendu Bit Poster

If you still intend to use routers then simon's comments are more than valid.

You can add a number of modules to your router in order to attain your 7 ethernet ports e.g 2600, 4000 or the larger 7000 series (might be over doing a bit).

Then you will need to configure your router and hosts (including their default routes) in order for traffic to flow between the different subnets.

:D

11. roost3r

roost3r Bit Poster

thanks very much both of you i think weve got there lol
    i have used cisco 2600 routers with ethernet modules installed and then configured them correctly.

thank you so much for your help i very much appreciate it i couldnt of did this without your help

thanks again

roost3r

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thats what we're here for! :wink:

13. mickeypendu

mickeypendu Bit Poster

I hope you get an A+ for your work.

:D