CCNA as the next step in my career.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by J7ody, Jul 25, 2009.

1. J7ody

J7ody New Member

Good Day to all.

I must admit to not having been on here in quite a while, however with my next question I knew of only one place I would get the best answers around.

To give some background on myself I work within a Windows 2003/XP and Citirx environment on a day to day basis. QUalifications I have are:

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA N+
    MCDST
    Citrix Certified Administrator
    MCSA (MCDST accounting towards it and 1 of the core exams passed for Windows 2003 Administration)

I am looking at returning to University next september and am now looking for training that will prove beneficial to my course as well as my career path. It is with this in mind that I am looking into the CCNA as a main part of the degree will be based on that. I wish to be competant at networking where I have some knowledge so that I can focus my attentions towards subject areas I am not so confident in once there.

I am not looking just for a course to make sure I pass the exam, I will be investing about £300 in a home Cisco Lab setup to enable my ongoing training, but obviously need somewhere to get me in the right direction.

Investigation so far has covered:

The two week courses from various vendors that cost a £2,000+
    The 6 day intense course from vendors such as CompuPeople who guarentee an exam pass (this to me screams training in answers only)

Now today in my research I have come across CommSupport. They offer again a 6 day course, but with no exam included so one would imagine this is then done in your own time. They used to do a 12-day course from zero upwards but due to lack of people being able to book for two weeks off it has been discontinued. They now just keep their 6-day course, however once booked you are granted access to their resource centre. The idea being that you can read the course guides and videos etc to bring you up on knowledge before starting (lifetime access to this is included in price). They also offer a free 1 day intro to networking to allow you to see their classrooms, 'get a feel for it' etc.

Their prices are very good, and as with everything I am always wary of a 'good deal'

I therefore put a question out there, has anyone dealt with this company before? Know of any better? I would ideally be looking at under £1000 if possible to include accommodation (exam and the purchase of a home Cisco Lab will be budgeted for seperatly)

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Jody

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCTS: 7, MCSA:2003, MCITP: 2008, CCNA, & TigerScheme QSTM
    WIP: CEH, CS3 & HTML5
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well I suppose having joined in Jan 08 and only made 3 posts you probably don't know your way around the forum :p

use the SEARCH feature on the toolbar and you'll find numerous posts regarding CommSupport including this one where I did a quick summary of my experience with them (excellent btw) : http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33190&highlight=commsupport

They're thoroughly recommended as far as I'm concerned :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, couple of things.

The MCDST does not count towards the MCSE, unless Microsoft have changed something lately.

Check your MS Transcript and that will confirm what exams gained you the MCSE qualification.

I looked into doing the CCNA with www.commsupport.co.uk, they seem like a good training provider. They also state that before you go on the course you should do some studying first.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. J7ody

J7ody New Member

Thanks for the responses, I love sarcasm so welcome it gladly :biggrin

The link provided cleared up any worries I may have had about paying the money to train with them so thanks for that.

Craigie, my apologies... typo. I meant MCSA :)

Jody

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCTS: 7, MCSA:2003, MCITP: 2008, CCNA, & TigerScheme QSTM
    WIP: CEH, CS3 & HTML5