CCNA and Vlan Config Question

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jamesB, Aug 12, 2006.

1. jamesB

jamesB New Member

Hi all - I am redoing my CCNA next Friday (both my CCNA and CCNP expired 2 years ago).

I have the Cisco Press INTRO and ICND books - they still describe configuring vlans via the vlan database command which is obviously the old way.

Does anyone know what the current CCNA exam expects?

I'd hate to get a question that says where do you configure vlan information and then lists vlan database and configuration mode that would suck! Or get a simulation that says create and name vlan 2, and then fail because I went ahead and jumped in Configuration mode rather then vlan database.

And trainers / renewly CCNA'ed people who might be able to help?

Thanks

James

2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Seeing as I'm also working on my CCNA, I googled for "configuring vlans" and the first result was from Cisco's site:

http://tinyurl.com/pybty <---created with Firefox's tiny url creator

If you want the full link:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_4_1/config/vlans.htm

Don't know if it helps but I thought I'd take a stab at it.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

JamesB,

Based on my resources, the steps seems to be as follows:
    • Configure the VLANS
    • Associate ports with the VLANS
    • Configure the router subinterfacing

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. jamesB

jamesB New Member

Sorry maybe I didn't make myself clear.

Cisco deals mainly with 2950 switch in the CCNA exam. There are now two ways to configure vlans on a 2950 - the old way and the new way.

If you jump into vlan-database from EXEC mode it will warn you that this method is now old, and the correct method is like everything else via global config mode.

My Cisco Press books I have still only talk about the vlan-database method.

I want to know from any trainers / newly qualified CCNA which method is expected in the exam?