CCNA and the Open University

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Sandy, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

yeah, I know!

I thought it would be useful for anyone contemplating the OU course...

but if nobodys interested I'll keep quiet!

As for books, I don't think you can go wrong with cisco press stuff...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No, I actually mean which two *specific* Cisco Press books were you recommending?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

ah! Well, the OU recommends

CCNA 1&2 Companion Guide (Cisco Networking Academy Programme S.) &
    CCNA 3&4 Companion Guide (Cisco Networking Academy Programme S.)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Apologies for bumping such an old thread, as you probably know by now I've registered for this course through the open university, finally the forms have been printed and they're on my way to me :)

I just hope I have enough funds to cover the cost because of my impending redundancy.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

wizard how does this work with OU? costs? i heard of it before.. just want to have a look at it for the future! so if you can post some info! 8) thanks!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ah no classes?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Look closer there are 4 schools you have to attend.

9. Percula

Percula Bit Poster

Hello

I'm just finishing up the OU's T175 ICT course and was thinking about what to do next.

I was planning the M150 to finish up the Certificate in Information Technology and Computing, but I was thinking about the CCNA course they now do.

I wanted to see how anyone that has done the OU course has got on. They say that "no skill or knowledge in this area is assumed" so it sounds like they start you off with the basics. I was wondering how true anyone's found this??!

Anyfeedback on the course much appreciated!

Dan

Certifications: None!
  10. stui

stui New Member

Hi all, I am registered on the new OU CCNA course starting on Feb 1st 2008. Anyone else on the same course?

11. flopstocks

flopstocks Nibble Poster

I've completed the OU course this year. Still yet to take the CCNA exam - seems quite a step up from the Network+ :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA, BSc(Hons) Open
  12. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Im on that course too. Cant wait!

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE
  13. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Yeah im on that course too. Cant wait!

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE
  14. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

I applied for this course when i was 16, 3 years ago (yes its been available at the OU for a while now) and i was rejected purely on my age...which personally, i find discusting. I passed the exam 2 weeks later through self study...

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But without experience, what does it really mean to hold the certification?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, interesting!

Looking at doing Computing with Businesses Degree but also want to do this course!

I could do both but don't think this will count towards my degree path? Don't fancy doing an open degree...

Though doing CCNA via open uni would encourage me more to pass it and get points.... argh decisions!

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  17. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

Well, CCNA is a very good foundation to work on..it shows potential employers that you understand IP addressing and basic device configuration. More over, you dont need a job in that particular field to gain experience for the CCNA certificatoin, there are online simulations which can be used for this, i.e. dynamips and boson sims.

obviously, CCNP and other exams of that difficultly require alot more hands on..

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Without experience, employers won't look at your CCNA as a benefit, because the CCNA has nothing to do with what you'll be doing in an entry-level job. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine... but it might cause you some difficulty in finding an entry-level job. Hey, if you don't have any problems, then great! More power to you. :thumbleft

For the record, it's illegal to use Cisco's IOS on Dynamips. Dynamips itself isn't illegal... but you can't legally use Cisco's IOS on it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. allyb

allyb New Member

Hi,

THis OU idea seems a good option, I have studied the CCNA course before but never felt confident enough to sit the exam which I now massively regret and want to do.

I have completed an HNC computing course and it looks as though this would count towards a degree in OU if I went that way. How do you find the course overall? Is there enough practical time during 3&4 as I found the course got harder as it progressed into these semesters.

Thanks

Ally

20. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Personally... having just completed the CCNA course I found that the difficulty between CCNA2 and CCNA4 to be very steep.

This was probably due to other study commitments (they combined a HND in IT with the CCNA course.... I'm sure they did it just for a laugh) but hey.

I don't have much experience with the OU but as I've said in my previous reply to you (see here) you need to take a good look at your current aim and choose specific qualifications accordingly.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA