CCENT Question

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by The Zig, Sep 26, 2013.

1. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hey all,
    Passed the CCENT a couple of days back - 950 8)
    I'm considering how appropriate it's likely to be for upcoming students.

Quick Note: I don't believe I am breaking the NDA here in discussing the test engine - I have no intention to discuss content, answers or subject matter. If I am wrong, correct me and I will amend/remove my posts.

There were a few things about the test engine which combined to really bug me. Cisco make it impossible to rationally manage your time.
    Point 1
    Dividing the time between questions (90mins, 40-50 questions) gives about 2 mins per question. But then there are the different question types - each 'question' counts as ONE of the 50, yet the testlets and simlets can contain multiple questions plus some command line work with simulated routers.
    So some of those 50 questions could be a ten second no-brainers, others could be 10 minute investigations. And I saw no way of knowing what's coming up.
    If I have ten questions left and 20 minutes, should I be pushing ahead to ensure I reach the end, or double checking everything to ensure I max every question?

Point 2
    As is visible on the above tutorial link from Cisco, there is no Back button! No possibility to review. Once you click "Next" that question is gone forever. This makes time management impossible, as faced with those final 10 questions, I can't look ahead and plan out my time. I have to face each question assuming the worst (every question after this will be a complex simlet) and get it right as fast as I can.

I can train students technically, but that doesn't help if they crumble in the test. I have taken a LOT of tests now, and even I felt my nerves rising at one point. As a trainer, I'm wondering, is there anything published by Cisco on how many testlets and simlets a candidate will face? Is there anything I've missed on Cisco's site that breaks down question types, how many you get, how they're weighted or anything like that?

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Nothing, you are in the hands of the Gods.

You are correct, forget time management, the only time management you can adopt in the cisco exams is to simple not waste time, if you really do not know the answer then take the best guess, better to lose points on one question than to waste time and sacrifice the entire exam.

Anyway, what do you teach?

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hey, thanks for the answer. Guess that's what I'll have to tell any future students.

I mainly teach around the CompTIA A+, Net+ kind of topics. Although I've also taught a few Microsoft MTAs, as well as the Windows 7 680/685 material, and a little of the Server 2008 track. Oh, and MS Office. I'm likely to have to start teaching some entry Cisco stuff soon, which is why I've started certifying in this too (I am quite solid on networking, have had on/off access to Cisco kit for a bit now, but have only recently been doing structured study into Cisco specifics).

Goal is to earn myself the CCNA for Christmas. I've heard the new one is harder though...

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I have PM'ed you.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. bbel121

bbel121 Bit Poster

Here are some basic time management suggestions...
    when you go in and sit and they give you the clear plastic wipable board...the things you want to jot down as notes, the things you might forget and spend a mintue or two pondering...do it then. Not once the exam starts. This way you have it to refer back to 40 minutes into the exam when you are sweating it. If you need to write out your subnet chart...do it then. You may save yourself 30 seconds per subnetting question as you have your handy dandy little chart and you are not questioning yourself then. I hope that helps.