CCENT - anyone?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Notebook, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

Hi Everyone
    Looking to break into the IT industry as messing with computers has been a hobby of mine since windows 3.
    Have built them etc and am educated to hnc level in electrical engineering. Being made redundant in 3 weeks and so now is the hour!!

So a few Q's

1 Can you do the ccent direct with cisco?
    2 Is it the same as the first ccna - part 1?
    3 Is this achievable on your own, or if I had funding 2K from welsh assembly react funding, would a training solution be better? If so, immediately or after a bit of reading?
    4 Any goods books out there or training nuggets etc?
    5 Anyone recommend a training company?
    6 Would this be acceptable to find a job? - not worried about the pay

Sorry in advance as I may have posted this in the wrong place, but couldnt find out where.

Thanks

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, you can self-study the CCENT by yourself and sit the exam at any Vue testing centre.

Yes, see here

Some will say self-study, some will say via a class, some will say both. It depends on your learning style. It's the qualification at the end.

Yes there are, just do a search in the Cisco part of this forum :)

UKDarkstar can, as he's done a course recently.

To be honest, I would generally say no. Unless you can find an entry level network technician's job (these are far and few between), a company is not going to let you loose on their network infrastucture. Added to that not everyone uses Cisco kit. Hence why we say do the A+, Network+ and the MCDST first of all.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I absolutely agree with Ken's assessment. The CCENT isn't going to enable you to get into router administration without first getting some real-world experience first. Pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST and get some experience before going any farther with certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

Thanks guys
    looked at the A+ a while ago, and it drove me mad due to the old technology - dont really want to go around repairing pcs - perhaps mcdst might be better.
    Thanks

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well the 2009 version of the A+ is coming out this year, as it's been updated. However, just to let you know that not alot of companies have an aggresive upgrade program. Alot of companies will have the older machines still in use. I know not all our PC's/laptops are dual core, we're still running some older celerons that use DDR (instead of DDR2/DDR3) and we have a pretty good rolling upgrade program, in fact we have a few PC's that are over 6/7 years old still running.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well... you have to start somewhere. Companies aren't going to let you loose on their production network without IT experience. Nobody says you have to repair PCs forever.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ciscowannabe

ciscowannabe New Member

Check out CBT nuggets and Trainsignal both very good. THey offer entry level to adv level