1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBT nuggets

Discussion in 'A+' started by aestudiar, Oct 13, 2012.

1. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

I passed my A+ last month, but thought I would start a thread here as this part of the fora is very active.
    I'm considering getting more certs (aren't we all?), listing Security+ among them. I've watched all of Messer's videos, and read a couple of books, but there's something that people here keep talking about: CBT nuggets.

So I had a look today. There seems to be 2 types of access: subscription ($1188/year), and individual access to courses (e.g. $199 for Security+, valid for a month).

If I enrol, will I be able to download the videos, to watch whenever I can/want?
    What about the quality? Are they on a par with Messer's? Better? Worse?

In addition, with the subscription I think there's also access to prep tests. How good are these? Are the question pools large? Do they include explanations?

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have taken a look for you and there are some videos on youtube so you could get an idea of your thoughts on cbt nuggets
    Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

You can also go to their site and watch 2 minutes of any video.
    Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster Forum Leader

I took a couple of their courses and watched videos of them and TrainSignal (work was paying for it!)

I found CBT good. Their trainers were fairly funny, and also had a clear enthusiasm for the subject. Don Jones for instance, is so in love with PowerShell! He's got a great first-look Server 2012 series on YouTube. My only gripe was that I didn't feel you'd be able to pass from the videos ALONE (at least not the Server 2008 R2 stuff I was doing) - although, perhaps work didn't get or pass along these practice tests...

For Security+, I watched some Messr, but my main resource was this Darril Gibson book - the Kindle version is especially amazing value (can't see from your profile whether your a fellow UKer, but here, on Kindle, it's £6.67).
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?