CBT nuggets CCNA training....

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Lazaruseifer, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Lazaruseifer

Lazaruseifer Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Totally new here, I have been studying for CCNA for about 3 months, and recently its been at a slump due to me contracting a very nasty Virus and then Pneumonia...

So, I am on Semester one, and have had mixed results 70%'s and 80%'s, I know not good enough...

My learning resources have been varied, I have CBT Nuggets CCNA, and the college training resource, Which isn't very good at all, too much 'crap' in there...

anyhow..

Have been learning through the CBT nuggets resource, however it doesn't seem to correspond with the order in which CISCO, want us to take our mock exams... You know, modules 1-11...

I am at a loss as I assumed, "ok, 4 semesters, 4 CBT disks, 1 disk to a Semester", but it doesnt seem to be that way..

Have any of you guys had the same problem?

Certifications: None as of yet
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I can't help with the CCNA but I am sure someone will be along soon to answer your question more specifically.

However, I did find the same kind of situation with the Microsoft MCSE exams. There is a lot of crossover information taught in the various courses. What this means in reality, is that it is not always best to do the exams in the same order the courses are taught in. It's all very confusing when you are trying to fathom things out.

Personally I did my exams in nice neat numerical order 210, 215, 216, 217 etc. But a lot of people prefer to take the 216 (tough sucker) last. I possibly should have done that too, as it was the only one I failed and I would have understood some of the topics better after doing the remaining four courses and associated self study and practical work.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Lazaruseifer

Lazaruseifer Bit Poster

Well I am going through the CiscoNetAcad route, and a lot of the resources on their site, do have a lot of 'junk' in there, (probably to keep the full time learners busy :biggrin )

it is a lot to take in, however persitence is the key, I don't expect to pass first time, although it would be nice..

4. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

You really should expect to pass first time. Don't take the exam until you're ready, however long that takes.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

talking of semesters leads me to assume you're doing the cisco academy which does have different content to the CCNA syllabus...

check out the CCNA syllabus before taking the exam

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I agree with Clyde.

I'm almost finished the academy's semester 4 and there is an awful lot of information that you are espected to know for the academy, that just isn't relevent to the exam.

8)

7. Lazaruseifer

Lazaruseifer Bit Poster

yes that is what I am saying... I am not really using the Academy's training plans, as well as you said there is, stuff on their that encroaches onto Electronics and Science, I know these subjects are part of IT, but not as much as cisco like to emphasize....

Does anyone have a clue as to how the CBT nuggets tally to the CISCO netcad?
    :p

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi

I have never looked into CCNA but like to read lots of books by different authors on the same subject to hopefully get a good understanding of the topic in question.

I have found that most authors have their own method of covering the course. Sometimes this means doing things in a reverse order to what you would expect.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I think it likely that cbtnuggets material matches to the CCNA and not the academy...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  10. Lazaruseifer

Lazaruseifer Bit Poster

So there's CCNA and then there is Cisco CCNA?

I don't understand..
    :(

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What I think Clyde was tring to say is that the CCNA doesn't match the CCNA on the Network Academy route.

As you have already mentioned the Academy stuff has things in it that they want you to learn that you wouldn't find come up on the CCNA sylabus.

The CBT's focus on just the CCNA syllabus and not on the Network academy syllabus.

By completing the Cisco Network Academy you do not gain CCNA, to do this you must pass the CCNA exam, which is an external exam from either Prometric or VUE.

8)

12. Lazaruseifer

Lazaruseifer Bit Poster

yeah man, cheers...

Well, for anyone who is in the same boat as me, my tutor, has prepared us a boss little folder of cut down NetAcad sources...

I just match up the titles...

13. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

The netcad is something I never did. If anything you're learning more background mathematical/physical/historical stuff I never learnt.

I took the exam twice in the past few months and passed second time. It was very very hard work.

Was never an academy member though- all I needed were these guys here

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  14. Lazaruseifer

Lazaruseifer Bit Poster

yeah,, good on you mate...

The Academy is a bit poo at the moment..

15. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

After I passed I investigated joining up because I can't see myself doing CCNP all self study. I never got a response to the email I sent, maybe I'll send another one.

16. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Yeah, isn't that annoying. You send someone a message and they don't even bother replying. There's not much common courtesy around these days, eh Pete?

By the way, sent you a PM. :dry

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  17. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Replied