cat5 cabling

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by dmarsh, Nov 28, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ok I'm thinking of running some cat5 cable round the house.

I take it I will need :-

RJ45 male connectors
    Cat5e cable 20-25m
    Crimp tool ?

Obviously I'm not doing an industrial installation so I don't want to have to buy bulk, but neither do I want a molded cable as I want to run it through places.

Anyone got any good advice on where best to get the stuff for a good price ?

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Avoid Excel cable at all costs - it's cheap and nasty imo.

I did my Cat5 certification (to ISO) with Connectix who now have an online store here.

Alternatively, if you have one of these nearby who used to be AC Electrical then you can get all you need including a cheap Krone tool for crimping.

Can't remember where you are now in Hants but if you're over Poole way you can always borrow my crimper and Krone tool for a short time if needed ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the offer Darkstar ! I'm near portsmouth, I could probably borrow stuff from somewhere, but time i've driven about I figured might as well buy the gear ! :D

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Unless you wnat to pop across for the mini gtg ???

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I take it that you're not going to use network sockets/trunking, etc? Just a straight run, eg a single cable plugged directly from a switch to a PC (for example)?

Have you thought about if you want STP/UTP or any future equipment? eg Cat5e vs Cat6, etc...

Sorry maybe I'm just use to cabling for organisations, instead of the home :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm definitely considering it, got a few other things on so didn't wanna commit just yet ! :D

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hi Ken,

Ok since you asked, I'll bore you with details !

It's not my own place so I don't wanna go overboard.

Theres three brick walls involved so Wi-Fi doesn't travel too well.

There are two ring mains involved so I can't use power socket adapters.

I was just going to run a single cat5e cable through the ceiling space. One end will be connected to my existing switch the other to an xbox 360.

I guess shielded would be better as there may be power cables in the same space. I guess my equipment won't be grounded for STP ?

I really just want simple cheap reliable point to point connectivity.

Cheers for input ! :D

dave

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This seems to be a common belief. As long as the supply to the building is a single phase then I've never found any problems using my Homeplug adaptors across different rings.

Try a pair - I suspect that you will be pleasantly surprised!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I just assumed they would not work, it appears you are correct Harry and they should work across a single phase.

Thanks, everyone, its been most informative ! :D

I'm not sure if I have a single phase either, so I'm gonna have to investigate... :oops:

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yeah, if it's a home and not a factory or shop with high power machinery, it will be single phase i'm sure.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

dmarsh,

It is very critical that you get connectors that are tuned for Cat 5e performance. If you use Cat 3 connectors on a Cat 5e cable, then based on the "weakest link" perspective, you'll effectively make a Cat 3 cable. So it is important to get Cat 5e tuned connectors. Since I understand that it's going to be the cable link between a switch and an Xbox, you're going to need the connectors with the two prongs inside the connector crimp area instead of the single prong. The single prong connectors are for solid core not stranded core.

As mentioned above, get the stranded core Cat 5e cabling instead of the solid core Cat 5e cabling.

Yes, you're definitely going to need a crimp tool. I personally have a Telemaster Ratchet crimp tool. Ideally, you'll also need a cable tester that certifies Cat 5e cabling due to testing for the six required tests to qualify for Cat 5e cabling under 568B.2.

Unfortunately, since I'm on the other side of the pond, I"m not sure where you'd go to get the above items.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A bit difficult but there is a place near me that got me a 20 meter ethernet cable for £2.50 and they do all other cables aswell.

If you want I could see how much they are charging and send it to you, as long as we come up with you repaying me for purchasing and P&P.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

£2.50 for 20 meter cable? where? I want to buy some... LOL
    That's well cheap man.
    Check B&Q and you'll get it there fo £25 ish for 100 meters:x which is damn expensive

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It's from a warehouse on an industrial estate near me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I know its multiphase for the premises, but I don't presently know if both rooms are on the same phase. If they are I can probably use the homeplugs as harry suggested.

If that fails its run cable or give up !

16. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Interestingly - Yesterday I went to a care home to get a WiFi system going - and where I had been told that "there was no chance of Homeplug working". Because I'm a contrary ****er I took a pair of Homeplugs anyway. They worked just fine, which was more than could be said for the WiFi units!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  17. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I bought the homeplugs anyway.

I'm pretty sure I had two seperate phases in the two parts of the building.

I got an electrician to change this so they were both on the same phase but different rings.

No deal, does not work.

So in summary they may work, they may not, not for me. If fact the WiFi coverage is not too bad in the room afterall so I may go that route rather than cable.

18. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I bought the homeplugs anyway.

I'm pretty sure I had two seperate phases in the two parts of the building.

I got an electrician to change this so they were both on the same phase but different rings.

No deal, does not work.

So in summary they may work, they may not, not for me. If fact the WiFi coverage is not too bad in the room afterall (compared to no coverage!) so I may go that route rather than cable.

19. Alexbrown012

Alexbrown012 New Member

I think you can avoid Excel cable at all costs and if one of these nearby who used to be AC Electrical then you can get all you need including a cheap Krone tool for crimping.
    checkout telesystemscorp for more Cat5e Wiring Services.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  20. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

This was posted in 2008... I'm pretty sure he's done the job by now ;)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    BIBobby likes this.