Cases Problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luddym, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guy,

Having recently bought a quad core PC, I thought id be generous and give my old 2.6GHZ PC away. However, my girlfriend wanted a change of case, nothing special, so i bought......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110243988509

The motherboard that I want to put into it is the asrock P4V88+.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4V88+

Now both are ATX, the case spec says 'ATX Form Factor 12" x 10.5 " or smaller'. Now to the problem.

All of the screw holes are in the right place, but.... the motherboard doesn't sit properly, so you cant screw all the screws in, because of four plastic prongs coming out of the bottom of the motherboard that keep the square piece of plastic that the CPU fan sits on top. So I can't screw it in, and even if i could..... the AGP card that I need to put in it, when slotted into the motherboard, would be slap bang in the middle of the solid peice of metal in between two blanking plates.

Have I messed up and am totally screwed and need to spend another 35 quid, or am i being an idiot?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Has the motherboard been flexed or bent, my mate has one those cases with a similar motherboard in and has no problems with it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey,

Nope, the mobo is straight as a die. I think the problem is that there are four plastic prongs poking out the bottom of the mobo that keep the rectangular piece of plastic that the CPU heatsink slots into, in place. It's those that hit the case before the screw holes do.

On the last case it was in, there was an indentation in the case at the point where the prongs where, so it all fitted nicely.

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I cant see the case the ebay picture doesnt work for me, You have put the standoffs in?

I've seen things like that before but normally they are in bespoke motherboards even though they say they are "atx compliant". I'm thinking of dell mostly as they have a pull out tray that the mobo sits on and the plastic holders for the cpu goes through the tray.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

BINGO.

I knew there was probably something simple i was missing!

Thanks Dales

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This is why I only buy name-brand cases and mobos. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

is your graphics lining up now? if not you could always use a flexi agp riser

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

All sorted now thanks guys, it's what I put down to me not building a PC afor 2 year.............. and being a dope!