Case Study at Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rob1234, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have got an interview for an IT graduate scheme for a large accountancy firm in London next week. The man from the agency e-mailed me today telling me:-

"Please be prepared to work on a case study at your interview, which will be based on the leisure industry, specifically health clubs.You will be provided with further details on arrival and given 75 minutes to prepare for the task. In advance of the day, you should spend no more than 2/3 hours researching the industry in preparation."

I have had a few interviews before but I have never had to do a case study before and am not quite sure what it will entail me doing. I wondered if any of you guys have done one before and could give me some idea of what I will have to do and what questions they may ask me.

Thanks

Certifications: A few.
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Since I don't know what your job responsibilities would be, I'm guessing somewhat... but case studies will test your ability to sift through a LOT of information (some of it possibly irrelevant) about a client or client base in order to provide the applicable services for them. If you don't know what information is relevant, or you don't know about the services, you won't be able to answer the questions.

For example... let's say that the IT services company you work for has been called in to a health care company to diagnose their IT infrastructure and make suggestions. They currently have 400 total employees, with one corporate site and seven remote sites around the city. They plan on adding three sites in another city about 300 miles away. The sites currently connect over a 64K dial-up connection. They have a single server that is used as a DC, file and print server, and mail server. They run full backups nightly, but the backup isn't done until the next afternoon. The CEO has little regard for security. Their Web site is hosted externally.

Questions they could ask on this case...
    What would you recommend regarding their server?
    What would you recommend regarding their backup situation?
    What would you recommend for their remote connectivity situation?
    How would you go about hosting their Web site internally?
    What IP addressing scheme would you use, if you were to redesign it from scratch?
    What OSes and applications would you recommend?
    What would you tell the CEO regarding security of his company's IT infrastructure?
    What general security measures would you recommend?

Keep in mind that these questions will vary based on what your job responsibilities will be. The questions I asked may be NOTHING like what you are asked. I pose them only to show you what a case study looks like.

This isn't something you can cram for. Either you know it, or you don't. Fortunately for the employer, this exercise will show them whether you and your skill sets are a good fit for the company. The case study will be designed to find out what you know, and to find out what you don't.

Give the questions your best shot. However, if you are asked point blank if you know about a technology, and you don't, I always recommend that you be truthful and say so - say what you know, say what you don't. Good interviewers can spot a BS explanation from a mile away, and the honesty might just earn you positive "points" on your interview.

Remember, this interview is a two-way street. They're finding out if you fit well with them... but it's also for YOU to find out if you think their company fits well with you, and whether you'd enjoy that job.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Thanks for that it was very helpful. Case studies look very similar to assignments that I had to do at University. The advert for the job says that:-

We are specifically looking to recruit someone who is keen to focus on a series of projects over a 2 year period, to help the firm achieve its ambitious growth objectives.

Your role will involve a range of duties including:

Application support
    Project management
    Producing documentation
    Software testing
    Helpdesk support
    Programming

In order to be successful in this role you will be able to demonstrate the following:

An 2:1 degree or above preferably with an IT focus
    A desire to continually learn and pick up new technologies
    A team-orientated approach

So the case study could be on based on quite a lot of things. Have to see what happens I guess but thanks again.

Certifications: A few.