Careerjobsuk experiences

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by It Nathan, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence - yes, you will need to take exams to certify yourself no matter what course of study you adopt. That's normal.

I don't think that you are going to build a case based on the course material you have been given. It is a perfectly legitimate practice for training providers to re-sell or even re-brand existing material under license - unless they are violating a copyright or providing braindumps.

Your best bet is the misrepresentation route - where you claim that they gave you the impression that you were applying for a job and it turned out to be a course. Misrepresentation is a powerful tool and pretty easy to demonstrate. New advertising guidelines state that adverts should not be worded in a way that may confuse 'the average person'. I think in this case you've got something to build on.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. BB2011

BB2011 New Member

I fell for this at the start of the year. I saw an ad on a job site for IT professionals in my area, and that full training would be given etc. I applied for the job and was given a telephone call scheduling an interview for the following day.

The next day, albeit a bit late I had the interview, which did not seem like an interview and turned out to be an application for an IT course that would qualify me for a job that was coming up in six months. I was still interested as I fancied a change in career and after a few questions, promising to study for more than 8 hours a week etc the interviewer put me on hold to speak with his supervisor, I was told I had qualified for a position. After I was given an outline of the course and the website to go on I was hit with the fact that there would be a charge of £79 per month to cover tuition. As it all seemed professional and as I had a bit of redundancy to get by on for a few months I decided to give it a go, and gave my credit card details over.

I did the course for the first month, it was all extremely simple stuff and I flew through the first few modules (I had to email a Sam Slack to unlock the next module after completing one)
    I then found a job in my original field, it took up a bit of my time in the first few weeks and I fell behind on my course, I actually worried that I would get a call or an email from my tutor as I was not putting in 8 hours a week, but nothing transpired. Eventually I decided I was not going to complete the course so I emailed my tutor to say I was pulling out.

I received an email saying I was within a contract and that I had taken up a space on this course and I had to see it through to the end and that it was in my best interest to see it through. I replied to this email saying I had no intention of completing the course and that the payments would stop. I received a reply stating that it was in Carrerjobsuk best interest that I passed the course and they urged me to continue.

At this point I just cancelled my card that I made the payments on. I have since received two letters requesting that my payments be brought up to date unless further action will be taken.
    I found this all interesting, because in my interview I was told I would have 24 hour support and a tutor to provide help and guidance, and that all I had to do was pay the fees and do at least 8 hours a week coursework, at the time I asked what would happen if I didn’t give 8 hours a week and the interviewer said the tutors were also there to give people a nudge if they fell behind.

Well I haven’t logged on for over a month and no one has emailed, called or sent a letter to say I am behind, yet they are extremely keen to get the £79 a week by sending me 2 emails and 2 letters on the matter.

I think that speaks volumes.

I have no intention of paying them a penny more and if the next letter is threatening in any way I will be seeking legal advice.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just be careful how you go about this.
    Irrespective of their marketing tactics - you agreed to do the course and pay them for the pleasure. I would imagine you signed a contract to that effect, which would have included a cancellation clause.

As it stands, it is you that is in breach of contract, not them. You've decided not to do the studying that you agreed to do, and by the sound of it through no fault of theirs.

If they did choose to pursue you for the money (which they probably won't) you may be shooting yourself in the foot.

4. steve1988

steve1988 New Member

I have had that phone call today! Im so glad I did some research on them. I was really thinking about agreeing to the training course as the woman I spoke to said she had spoken to companies about my CV and they had all said all I needed was more experience. I think when she rings back tommorrow I will see how low they are willing to go. Maybe try £1, then oooops ive lost my card so sorry love I cant pay anything!

Certifications: CCNA
  5. chris1

chris1 Bit Poster

sorry i was referring to the exams to be sat, that id mentioned previously qualifying you to MCITP, network engineer. and was wondering whether these were the ones to be sat. These are the ones they recommend although im being told to also go through CompTIA A+ N+?

# Windows 7 Configuration MCTS 70-680
    # Windows Server 2008 Active Directory MCTS 70-640
    # Windows Server 2008 Networking MCTS 70-642
    # Windows Server 2008 Applications MCTS 70-643
    # Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 MCTS 70-236
    # Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Admin MCITP 70-647

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, yes.
    Those are the exams you need to sit to get your MCSE (or whatever they are calling it these days).
    You'll need to do them no matter who you study with - but they certainly aren't suitable for beginners.

7. ad2606

ad2606 New Member

hey got a phone call off this lot last night and was scheduled for an interview now, had a read of these forums before they called and very glad i did. probably wouldnt have gone for it anyway but peoples views on here were the final nail in the coffin.
    when they rang i advised i'd read some forum posts about his company and decided that i didnt want anything to do with them- he didnt even bother trying to defend themselves just said they were taking legal action over the forums and hung up.
    cheers people once again showing that the internet and public forums can be a big help avoiding scams. now im off to speak to a bloke about buying some shares in a nigerian gold mine afterall i need something to spend my spanish lottery winnings on, strange because i cant remember buying a ticket now wheres my bank details for that nice email bloke....................:biggrin

8. KillerDeath

KillerDeath New Member

How do you cancel this been done and still in 7 day cooling off period but can not get through on phone. only did it yesterday so need help quickly if you can

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, Mr Death :blink

The contract that you signed should have a clear clause about cancellation.
    Generally, you are better protected if you signed off their premises than if you were actually there at the time. If the contract isn't clear on this point, they could be breaking doorstep selling regulations.

Best way as always is to put it in writing and send it recorded delivery, making sure you get proof of postage. Then email them, then fax them. Then kill them... 8)

10. BB2011

BB2011 New Member

Just an update on my situation.

I have received several letters requesting I bring my account up to date, the last was basically a threatening letter saying legal people would get involved.

I have responded to this with my own letter stating that I believe I have been mislead etc.

I will keep you posted :)

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bit worrying when you think about it, isn't it?
    Why would a training company need 'legal people'?

They probably don't. Liklihood is that they've just got some half-rate debt collectors or credit people.

If you are only paying £79 per month, it's not worth them involving a solicitor who charges £79 per minute. :blink

12. KillerDeath

KillerDeath New Member

They contact me to day and ask if it was ok to take the money out of my account and I told them had I had closed the account as I was emigrating to another country and I also asked them to cancel the course for me. They then started asking me where I was emigrating to and if I still wanted to take the course and I said that with the cost of emigrating Iwill not be able to afford the course and then They Started Swearing at me for wasting their time and hung up on me.

I'm not emigrating but I thought that they would still try to contact me if they though I was still gullible to take the course and I didnt sign a contract it was a verbal one of the phone.

13. boo85

boo85 New Member

I stupidly fell for this in March and smelt a rat as the course seemed so basic. I was out of the 7 day cooling off period so couldn't cancel so i just cancelled my cards. I have had a threatening letter also about missed payments. I decided to write a nicely worded letter after speaking to Microsoft who inform me these scam artists are not accredited to use their exams and will be looking into it, as are consumer direct and watchdog. I will let everyone know if i get my money back and the contract cancelled.

14. trib2goku

trib2goku New Member

I've just applied to do this myself and am waiting on my call back today, after reading the comments on this forum I've noticed that the job page for the one I applied for has actually changed it now stated that a fee may apply for those who are not qualified. will update as I'm currently on phone with them as I speak.

trying to say that I've got until tomorrow to give my final decision as they can only take on 100 people twice a year...

Honestly having a look at their website as well the fellow I was talking to says I have the potential for getting to the "program" by actually asking questions (when i was tired at 3am in the morning though).

I dont know my wife thinks its all fishy im getting to think the same exsecially i dont like being pressured in to making a decision.....

15. BB2011

BB2011 New Member

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Indeed, it's all very sad.

Unfortunately scammers exist because there is always an ample supply of people out there who fall for their tricks. Some out of desperation, some because they think they've found a way to beat the system or make a quick buck.

It doesn't look as if anything will get done any time soon about this sort of thing.

:rolleyes:

17. Zippyduda

Zippyduda New Member

Hey, thought I'd sign up for the site to post what has been turned out to be a good google search on my part.

I'm currently finishing up my Apprenticeship at Zenos Academy and am starting to look for jobs. Did a quick search on DirectJunction and the sad fact I immediately found threads about scams raises a red flag for me really. Here's the link to where they advertised: TotalJobs.com

Something that threw me today when coming home was the fact they rang me at 5:46 whilst I was on the train, out of work hours when most people would be commuting home (car, public transport, bike, walking in a busy street etc.). It did surprise me that they got back to me in two days.

The question I want to ask you guys and girls is, should I be worried they now have my contact details and address from my CV? Hate to think it will get stolen, copied, they'll pester me or something along those lines.

Certifications: MCITP, MCTS:Win 7, MCTS:Win 7:EDST, CompTIA A+/Security+/Server+/Network+, MTA
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

contact them and tell them you want your information taken of their records and you dont want it passed on to anyone else. Although the latter bit may have already happened and be impossible for you to stop.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. airbuz

airbuz New Member

Hi.

I have to say that I'm in the same position as boo85.

Applied on reed.com for IT job and they called me offering training.

At the beginning got bit suspicious but my wife got all excited and she convinced me to go ahead.
    As it turned out it is pile of bull s**t.

Can anyone let us know if they got out of it or no.

The main point is that they are not recognised by Microsoft so it is misleading what they are promised at the end of training.

20. airbuz

airbuz New Member

Hi Boo85!

Could you please keep us updated on how did it go with cancellation?

I'm looking for resolving the situation asap, anything would be helpful it's not even direct debit that can be just cancelled.

Thanks