1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career progression

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Sep 4, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Gigabyte Poster Premium Member

Hey all

So its been a year in this job and I have my 12 month probation tomorrow. Then on Friday I have an interview for a second line position.

Its all go ha ah

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

good luck mate, 12 months probation seems quite lengthy, mine is 6 months.. have you taken any certs during you 12 months? I am hoping to bring this to the table at my review to negotiate a payrise

WIP: A+
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator

Top Poster
    of the Month

Best of luck ed. Sounds like it's all going well sir

Certifications: BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, VCP4, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VCP5, VCP6-NV, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
  4. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

Glad my probation's ended, hated seeing my parole officer...

5. zxspectrum

I still haven't done any certifications to be fair. That's down to being lazy and busy, sometimes I have gotten home at 7 or 8 and had no motivation etc.

I think 12 months is lengthy and if i get my new role, it will mean another 12 month probation in that department as well but also a bit more money to cushion the blow. I am due to start the N+ through work this month sometime.

Ed

6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Byte Poster

Good luck

7. zxspectrum

So a mixed week then. I passed the probation but didnt get the role I want. This hasnt knocked my confidence, it has just made me more determined to progress my career as thats the logical next step.

I have also got better at interviews I think, for instance, today I was confident enough to take my time when asnwering questions, if I found myself waffling then I would stop and ask them to repeat the question. I also took about 3 cups of water and noticed I wasnt shaking as bad as I have done in the past. Onwards and upwards

Ed

dmarsh likes this.