Career progression

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Sep 4, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey all

So its been a year in this job and I have my 12 month probation tomorrow. Then on Friday I have an interview for a second line position.

Its all go ha ah

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

good luck mate, 12 months probation seems quite lengthy, mine is 6 months.. have you taken any certs during you 12 months? I am hoping to bring this to the table at my review to negotiate a payrise

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Best of luck ed. Sounds like it's all going well sir

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Glad my probation's ended, hated seeing my parole officer...

5. zxspectrum

I still haven't done any certifications to be fair. That's down to being lazy and busy, sometimes I have gotten home at 7 or 8 and had no motivation etc.

I think 12 months is lengthy and if i get my new role, it will mean another 12 month probation in that department as well but also a bit more money to cushion the blow. I am due to start the N+ through work this month sometime.

Ed

6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Good luck

7. zxspectrum

So a mixed week then. I passed the probation but didnt get the role I want. This hasnt knocked my confidence, it has just made me more determined to progress my career as thats the logical next step.

I have also got better at interviews I think, for instance, today I was confident enough to take my time when asnwering questions, if I found myself waffling then I would stop and ask them to repeat the question. I also took about 3 cups of water and noticed I wasnt shaking as bad as I have done in the past. Onwards and upwards

Ed

dmarsh likes this.