Career Progression or lack thereof

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Qs, Jul 16, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Gonna let you in on a little secret...

...most employers don't necessarily want you to advance. Most simply want you to do the job they're paying you for. If you become more certified, then they'll have to promote you (IF there's a position available), pay you more to do the same job (which will only work for so long), or risk losing you to another company.

In short... the company's responsibility isn't to facilitate your career progression... the company's responsibility is to make money, and you help them do that by doing your current job.

Many companies DO pay for exams, because it's a benefit that lures people to work for them for however long they can keep them. But many don't... and though it might "suck", I can understand why.

Looks like you might not have needed my little secret after all. ;)

If they won't offer it, and it's important to you, do it on your own. Consider it an investment in your own career. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What he said! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I just don't understand this way of thinking. All of my training and certification has been self funded and that's the way I like it. I don't want to be tied down to a company because they paid money to send me on a course and I'd feel bad taking courses and then moving on for better pay.

The bottom line, it's my career so why wouldn't I pay for it myself?

Let's look at it another way. You own a small to medium sized company and your IT guy approaches you about a £1000 server course. You ask how this relates to his current job and basically it doesn't. Would you take the £1000 out of your profit?

Also take into account that with this course your employee could potentially earn a lot more money going to work for another company.

You're then in the position of having over qualified your staff to the point that you can no longer keep him without paying him over the odds for his job role.

So essentially you paid to train him, and then you have to either pay him more for his new found knowledge or risk losing him to another company.

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Thanks for the comments. I've calmed down a bit now from yesterday :p

Back to the 70-290 book then. Best make use of all the voucher codes under the sun now it's coming out of my own wallet.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm gonna slap you at the GTG if you moan once about career progression :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009