Career Paths: Which to follow?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by karan1337, Jun 1, 2010.

1. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

I'm working with Microsoft Technologies for around 7+ years. I've just completed my first year at college (Bachelor of Engineering:Computer Science). With a good background of MS Operating Systems, I'm looking forward (actually preparing) for achieving MS certifications during my ongoing summer vacations.

I wanted to achieve MCITP. For which, i have started out with preparing for MCDST on Windows XP (70-271 and 70-272). The basic fear i have is that Windows XP will no longer be supported (x64 at least, sp3 for x86 is supported uptil 2014) from July 2010, and my MCDST will become outdated as soon as i may clear the exam. I require time for 70-272 mainly as I've to revisit Outlook and MS office 2003 (Maximum preparation time uptil the end of 2010). Should i still keep on preparing for MCDST on Windows XP then rush for an upgrade on Vista or should i change to an alternate upgrade path?

Alternate Upgrade Path:-

MCTS in Vista and Office 2007 applications >> MCITP

As the course content for MCDST (Combined 2 exams) takes a bit of time to prepare while aiming at a single technology wont require much time as I already have some background, plus my MCP obtained from MCTS will not die out too soon. But on the other side, if i still aim for MCDST, i will have a solid framework for higher certifications.

Replies/Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  2. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

What is your overall objective by obtaining these certs?

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  3. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Converting gained experience into professionalism enhancing employability.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter if XP is officially supported by Microsoft or not... companies are going to continue to use XP for years to come, so those companies are going to need techs who are able to administer and troubleshoot it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Why not after the MCDST, just miss out vista and go onto Windows 7

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Sorry, the reason I am asking is because you are targeting a degree in Computer Science. This, typically, means the graduate intends to work in the field of software development or something similar (algorithm development, database architecting, etc). If you career goal is anything related to those then the certifications you are targeting will not really do you any good. If you intend on going the path of help desk, system admin, network engineer, etc. it'd probably behoove you to check out other majors. There is a lot of programming, math, and theoretical topics that will not be relevant to what you want to do. You will never need to know combinatorics, programming paradigms, or algorithm analysis in those IT jobs. There is nothing wrong with getting a computer science degree and going for one of those other jobs but I find that many incoming students have misconceptions on what computer science actually is.

P.S.: I am a software developer as well and the only reason why I have an A+ and am obtaining a Network+ is because of my second, part-time, job at a computer repair store. Otherwise, I would not have them.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  7. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Thanks for all of your replies.

@BosonMichael Yes, thanks.

@Johnd76 yeah, i'll consider that also.

@Volatile Actually your're right, but the starting reason for which i aimed at MCDST is that first and foremost with one exam u get a MCP title as well as half the MCDST. Secondly, the upgrade paths from MCDST are more in number as compared to MCTS. FYI, before entering into Bachelor of Engineering, i went into national level programming competitions. But later on, i realized a greater potential in networking and OS. Such was the interest that i had planned for CEH (a workshop initiated my interest). IF i didn't aim for getting a MCP, definitely i would have become a software developer just like u. Further, after my Bachelor's Degree, I've to complete it with a Masters Degree with a better college compared to my current one. I would appreciate if u could help me move into the right direction with respect to the certifications that i should acquire concerning my interests. Thanks.

8. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Ok, cool. Sounds like you know what you are doing. As far as certifications go...I'd go with what the other people have been recommending and also consider the Network+ since, I believe, you can apply it to both MCSE and CCNA as an elective exam. If you choose to do Network+, I'd do it soon while you can still be certified for life.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

agree with everything that has been said and Rep to volatile :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

network+ is no help toward CCNA in the form of elective.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Oops....my fault. I must have confused it with something else then.

12. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

13. sweetdisorder

sweetdisorder Bit Poster

Fantastic answer. Couldn't have put my own certification's journey better myself.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-620 70-290
  14. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

lolzz

15. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

lolzzz