Career path and salary

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Dazimus, Sep 17, 2008.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I think that it's usually a good position to be in, in terms or progressing. You should be able to speak with people in the company about moving to 3rd line and day release with 3rd line teams etc.

You should focus on a particular area now, e.g. networking, security etc. and start studying solely towards it. Show the employer you're not just interested but motivated towards it and you might get lucky.

It can be harder in some larger companies but not so much that it's impossible. It's all about talking to the right people and promoting yourself for the jobs. You're in a good position because you already have the knowledge from your current job, so you know how the place runs and would have a good understanding of what happens underneath your 3rd line work.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Or, EDQL, as those of us in the industry like to call it. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Ive been looking at roles on monster.co.uk (entry support roles) and applying for roles i believe i match but in the profile there is a profile summary section wich asks for your desired salary now the jobs are generly 1st line support alot just ask for an interest in IT (from £13,500s)ome ask for experience preferable which i dont have offering £15000-17000 and others want

I have entered £15000 for desired as this would be geat for be right now was this would be would be great 8) but should i put what b im willing work now for or bare min

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  4. BosonMichael

If £15000 works for you, and you believe that is a fair wage, then what does it matter that £15000 is the "bare minimum"? In truth, asking for the minimum is a great way to get noticed by employers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

What the big man said. You need to think that if you got offered the job would you be able to do what you need to do (i.e. pay the bills, buy food etc etc).

If you can and you believe the wage is fair then go for that.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. BosonMichael

Hey, hey, now, no need to get personal... I'm trying to lose weight... :dry

:p

7. Qs

Ok tubby, whatever you say :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. BosonMichael

You just wait till I tell your mother what you've been saying... :dry

9. Qs

*whispers*
    Michael, I think we've found the perfect way to increase our post count

10. BosonMichael

...or perhaps we're setting a bad precedent... :unsure In the wrong hands, this could be a devastating weapon! :ohmy

11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I know the OP was covered, but to Q’s point:
    I’ve never seen a contract actually stating what level of support I would provide. Working my way up from 1st to 3rd level support the contract just referred to me as a Systems Administrator. It was the role I played on my team that determined my level of support.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That’s the same for me as well.

Based on the day to day tasks it looks like the OP is doing more of a 2nd line desktop role.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Hmm Car. . . . Going to locations that the guys in second cant fix remotely.

TBH it sounds like a Field service technician job. I have a friend that does the same. Its a mix of 1st, 2nd and third sometimes. I'm guessing you support quite a few different contracts. This is a role thats very common with company who provide support on contract. Sometimes they just need someone to physically look at the issue.

You can work in IT and not be a specific line. As long as you work within the perameters of your job description theres no real problem.
    The average in my region for this kind of post is 18000

My mate that does it is a former systems architect that took 3 years off work(made quite a few sound investments). He's just doing it to re adjust to working life. The company he works for arent big on development. In his words he's like an IT flying monkey from the wizard of oz. Most times he turns up at sites and its the simplest problem. It's just that it cant be fixed remotely.

For a first IT job it sounds great but if you've been with them a year and it's not floating your boat have a look and see what else there is

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417