Career jobs uk

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by stereoridden, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoridden

stereoridden New Member

so i get this phone call right, reply to an email i sent a few months ago applying for a job that includes training which i found on the job centre website.
    This guy tells me he may have what im looking for and he reels off a load of courses. i, being the curious sod that i am, allow him to go on, tells me his name is Paul Ralph and hes working for career jobs uk, a training company that gets people qualifications then passes them on to the recruiter site affiliates. sounds like a good deal to me (alert status is green for now).
    he tells me he is going to call me back the next day to give me an online interviewif i want to sign up. at this point im thinking "well if i signed up through a job centre ad it must be ok, i mean there are scams out there but theres got to be real ones for the scams to work right?"

next day im waiting for this phone interview to get MCITP - networks training, he finally phones me 15 minutes late and tells me that he apologises but the network had a problem...so this company that will train me to fix networks had a problem with their network, alright its a plausable excuse.
    so he's guiding me through a slideshow on their website and basically explaining what the course offers, how much it will cost (£79!) what i will be doing, how much it will cost(£79!!), how long it will take, (£79!!!) you get the idea.

eventually he asks me if i would be willing to do this (alert status orange now) i say yes meanwhile all im thinking is "what kind of interview has a total of 1 question directed at me? especially when the one question is "does this sound like something you are up for?"" but whatever, i indulge my curiosity a bit more, they havent quite tripped up yet after all. so he signs me up, i give him my card details (obviously thats a bit stupid but i found out the payment would go out only after i complete the online registration and accept the terms and conditions thus enabling my account. also i know where the money will go and who im going after if it does come out.)

so at this point it seems all oke doke from career jobs uk.......before he ends the phone call he gives me the names of the admin - Sam Slack and the training manager - Barry maguire.
    so heres where i do the research and dig a little deeper. i type into google "careerjobsuk" and would you look at that, the top result is (duh da da duh) REED!......wait...reed? not careerjobsuk.com? so i type in "careerjobsuk scam" and what comes up? none other that certforums.co.uk i stumble across a post by someone who was offered a similar deal to me, the name sam slack was metioned and so was computeach. and there seemed to be a lot of tension in this guys post. (alert status orange, ready to go live)

So i get an email this morning telling me to login and accept t&c so my account will activate.
    let me tell you i am glad the one time in my life i choose to read t&c is now, no skipping to the end this time.
    seems t&c only refer to "mindleaders inc." and never mentions career jobs uk....ok, turns out they are an ohio based training company. according to the web they are a good one too, kinda.
    so i keep reading the t&c and im almost finished then i read section 8: charges and payment, thats the one i was looking for :D

section 8 goes a little like this....i mean exactly like this:
    You agree to pay all charges
    for Your use of the Services in the currency in which
    the charges are billed and at the prices displayed to
    You as of Your selection of the Services. All charges
    are exclusive of value added, sales or other taxes,
    which You agree to pay. You agree to allow PayPal, a
    secure third party service provider, to process Your
    credit card or debit card information in connection
    with the license of Services by You. Access charges
    are payable on the Effective Date, and your credit card
    statement will reflect a transaction with
    "MindLeaders." If payment is not received by Licensor
    from the card issuer or its agents, You agree to pay
    all amounts due upon demand of Licensor. Your card
    issuer's agreement governs Your use of Your designated
    card, and You must refer to that agreement and not this
    Agreement with respect to Your rights and liabilities
    as a cardholder.

paypal? ok so a lot of people use paypal for business, thats fine i guess (heres my saving grace, my paypal account wont accept my bank as a payment method, some administration error years ago, i called them up on it and because it took too long to sort out the guy just advised me to open a new bank account, never got round to it really though so there is no way money is leaving me through paypal since it cant, YAY!)

so that sounds a little bit wrong but i keep reading for more and would you believe it, section 10

10. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW,
    IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR OR LICENSOR'S DIRECT OR
    INDIRECT SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES,
    INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS, OR OTHER
    INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF THE
    USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES, EVEN IF LICENSOR
    HAD BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
    THESE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY CONSTITUTE AN ESSENTIAL
    PART OF THIS AGREEMENT.

WHAT?? NOT LIABLE IF ALL MY SAVINGS GO MISSING? (alert status RED! DEFCON 5! OPEN FIRE! bit much? sorry)
    exactly what i was looking for, needless to say i declined that one. im still on edge, watching my bank like a hawk, and im in the process of calling them and the bank to make sure nothing will ever go through.

so thats my story and im sticking to it

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best to give it a miss..

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. stereoridden

stereoridden New Member

yeh, sounds all a bit too dodgy to be true, i contacted them and told them i want off, threw the old "7 day cooling off period" in their direction and they agreed no hassle. just thought everyone else should know about these guys too

4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the post, that's very interesting to know. More the part about Mindleaders.
    You are right in that they are a large American, mainly well respected on-line learning firm, the largest in the U.S, I believe. What intreagues me more though is that since 2007, I'm pretty sure our company has had the exclusive resell rights for their products in the U.K. Having had a quick google I can also see a bunch more.

I detect some legal action in the wind.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. nelf

nelf New Member

The same thing happened to me too.

I gave them my card details also, so I came to your yellow zone.
    I did not have any money on my bank account, so they made special discount for me - 50 instead of 79 pounds...
    Since I agreed to participate in courses, hey started to call me about 4 times per day...

I tolled them, that the money will be on the account after I will get any written conditions and details of the offer...
    So they started to keep pushing to get the money... Then I saw what happened to you... So in few minutes I will send them my resignation...

Now the question is, what to do with credit card details... change the card? Do you think they can use my card's details?

Regards

Edit:
    I forgot to mention.. That was last Thursday.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. i.t.rnr

i.t.rnr New Member

yeah your right i got the same routine jobcentre then the phone calls then website then I told em to stuff it when they show me how much they wanted a month. they were so desperate i got em down to £20 a month do not go with them or anyone else who offer online training monthly training as when youve completed it they still give you nothing no matter how quick you do the course. I know this cause i got screwd a long time ago by other cowboy companys all offering same deal one of which went out business.
    AVOID scheidegger if there still in bussiness and Home learning college and any other company offering online monthly training. All they do is send u out printed folders of books u can get in any shop or library and get u to sign into there e classroom with a tutor that never there. And they may offer free exams that doesnt happen either. Wot these guys offer u can do at home for the price of a few books.
    Wot a cheap website too for the money there getting off ppl.

This is my first review here had to say something getting fed up with these cowboys

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011
  7. i.t.rnr

i.t.rnr New Member

Nelf check your bank if you have a direct debit with them cancel that

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  8. markhimself

markhimself New Member

today got the same thing, they said their interested and his manager confirmed that they would let me on the course, then I would have to pay £79. They said they legally have to give it back at the end of the year if I dont get a job - but when I said I lost my card details (I aint paying them a penny) - He turned quite angry before eventually it ending with me terminating the call.

I read this forum post whilst on the phone just for extra reason to hang up - thank you very much for helping me

9. Gazza

Gazza New Member

Thank you for the help on this site I got the phone call from carlton at careerjobsuk who then arranged a interview date & time. He phoned 45mins early & went through a slide show on there website & said he thinks I would be accepted for the course, at the end of the presentation he said he had a few questions to ask me why I should be accepted but this turned out to be only one question & went away to speak to Barry McGregor his boss to see If he would give me the ok & surprise he said yes. They wanted me to sign up today as there was not many places available but I said I would like to think about it and check on the company first this happened this morning & I have just had a phone call from them & I will not be take the offer up by them. Due to the help from this site I felt I had to put a reply of my experience of careerjobsuk.

10. mminter48

mminter48 New Member

I was just at the supermarket when my mobile rung. I didn't recognise the number, however I decided to answer because I've been looking for a job for sometime and I thought I probably may have struck lucky.
    I had this guy saying that he was from Carrer Jobs UK asking me if I was still looking for a job. The rest you know he said the same things to me, as he said to you. However I thought it was strange that he was giving me training and then finding me a job. I ended the phone call thinking that I would have an interview.Then I started to think, why would someone train me for a job? Nothing is for free. There isn't such a thing. Then I found your thread. In the past I bought memberships for Marketing Online, MLM and others and nothing worked. There are scams everywhere and you should never give your credit card details before checking the company in the internet as I did! My interview is on Monday. I will let them talk me through everything and I wish they call from America even though they say it is a UK company, because I will make them spend money in the phone and in the end say to them that I know this is a scam! I hope they will learn their lesson! :lol:

11. Linnpop

Linnpop New Member

Career jobs uk phoned me yesterday to arrange an online interview for today thurs 10th feb saying that today was the last day they were taking on people. So thinking it sounded a bit weird yesterday I searched the internet and found this thread and I also got a call 15 minutes later than they said they would call but thankfully I had read this before and my dad answered the phone and told them where to go.

So thanks for this.. saved me a lot of hassle :)

12. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

good news :thumbleft

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  13. nei1337

nei1337 New Member

Just been another victim.
    went all the way through it, being VERY cautious, after checking their site and it being very unprofessional, and covered in spelling/grammar mistakes. The guy doing the interview was very unprofessional and kept leaving to go talk to someone near him (could hear him in the background). Even when I gave crap answers and basically tried to make him not want me, surprise surprise, you've been accepted to our course. Next thing I hear is, can we have your credit card number. I'm like 100% this is a scam, so I tell him I'm unemployed and I don't have the funds but I'll ask my family for help and call him back, with no intention of calling back. But like he didn't want me to go, he kept saying how he's sure they would support me and that it's okay and I should just go ahead and pay. So I'm like yeh, I really can't, just let me ask them *HANGUP*.

Want I really want to know, is how the flying firetruck did he get my information. He knew my phone number (obviously) and my house address, and full name and like everything about me. Anyone have any idea where they got your information?
    LOLOLOL they're calling my mobile RIGHT NOW.
    But anyway, I'd love to know where they got my info
    LOLOL calling my house phone now!!
    so I can take the info down.
    Also is there no where we can like report them, this just isn't right
    WOW THEY'RE CALLING MY MOBILE AGAIN!!!

This is brilliant.
    Anyway, thanks for confirming my original suspicions.

14. nei1337

nei1337 New Member

Just got a voicemail off them and it goes something along the lines of:
    "You said you'd get back to me, and I'm disrespected that you didn't when you said you would, so I'm going to take you off the list because we only want serious people, and you're just messing about, so good luck."

Knob jockey.

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

People and places like dont give a **** about you all the saleman wants is his commission and all the company wants is their money. Wether that gets you into to debt or not doesn't matter to them.

Unfortunately its easy to get peoples details these days from the internet, places like banks pass on your information for a fee regardless of wether you want them to or not. Many people have their phone numbers listed on facebook so its just a matter of getting the numbers and phoning the people up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. jimmysals

jimmysals New Member

Hi
    Can any one tell me how to cancel with careerjobsuk after the initial 7 day cancellation period? didnt do my homework on them and feel totally scammed!!!

Please!!!!!!

James

17. nei1337

nei1337 New Member

lolll. do what i did. "disrespect" them, and they'll think you're not taking it seriously and "take you off the list".
    no but in all seriousness, can't you call your credit company and tell them that you've been scammed and to block out going payments or something? i've never even had a credit card so i wouldn't know, but i assume there must be some way of blocking payments or cancelling the card or something. declare the card as lost and they'll have to cancel it and give you a new one?

18. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

This is taken from their website: http://careerjobsuk.com/Jobhunter_Terms_and_Conditions.php

9. Termination and Cancellation

9.1 These Conditions apply unless replaced by subsequent Conditions or unless terminated under Clause 9.2 of these Conditions.
    9.2. Either party may, at its sole discretion, terminate the provision of the Services to the Candidate at any time by notice in writing to the other party (the "Defaulting Party") if the Defaulting Party is in breach of these Conditions and fails to remedy such breach within 14 days of notice from the other party requiring it to be remedied.
    9.3. The Candidate shall be responsible for all reasonable costs, claims, damages, loss, expenses and liabilities incurred by Career Jobs UK arising out of the Candidate's breach of its obligations under these Conditions (including, without limitation, on a solicitor and own client basis, any legal fees and disbursements reasonably incurred by Career Jobs UK).

Dont like the sound of these guys.....

Hope all goes well

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  19. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Bummer. not good news - how far in to the contract are you?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  20. jimmysals

jimmysals New Member

So how do you cancel after the 7 days are up?
    James