Career dilemma

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ITMatt, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

Sorry it has been awhile since I last posted on these boards.

I'm in a bit of a career dilemma at the minute.

About 6 months ago, I started a new job as a Desktop Support Technician, which I have found interesting and is with a highly stable bank, but limited future prospects. There are 7 people on our team in DST alone, many of which have been in the same role for many years, so gaining promotion over them would be highly unlikely.

I have recently been offered a new position as the sole engineer, reporting directly to the manager and will be responsible for the entire company IT infrastructure, from desktop support to systems integration. I have a limited experiencing in the area of server support and systems integration, and as it is for a private company with 750 users, it makes it all the more unnerving; however, the manager is aware of this and has still offered the job. It obviously comes with a pay rise, but it is a manufacturing company, so maybe less stable than a bank. It would also means starting in a new six months probation period.

I'm eager to take on the additional responsibilities in the new company, but am unsure what to do. If they wanted to let me go, for whatever reason (just look at the current economy in the UK and US), then it would be difficult securing another IT role, despite my 5 years experience in the IT field.

I don't expect anyone to answer the question for me, but it would be interesting to see your thoughts.

Matt

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  2. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

It sounds like a great opportunity to get your hands dirty and be involved at every level. So long as the company are aware of your limited experience in the server field and willing to train you up then I'd go for it!

My only concern is the 750 users. That's a lot of work for a single engineer.

3. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

That is one of my concerns, too; however, some of those are in the States and Canada, so the actual number of users I will be supporting within the Head office may be far lower than that. I think it is the job stability I am worried about, as I will be starting from afresh in a new company, and so would start a new six months probation period, and would have to make new friends again.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  4. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

If you're confident in your abilities and you have the get up and go to hit the books I'm sure you'll be fine.

One thing I would say is that junior server positions or opportunities to move from desktop to server are limited and don't come about too often. I had to wait years before I landed my first role which involved a measure of server support and that was more to do with who I knew at the company and his willingness to go out on a limb for me.

I'd jump at it!

5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Don't let fear hold you back. :D

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd say go for it as this is a brilliant opportunity, you do come across as lacking of confident. Go for it and if you do get stuck there is always this site, MS technet and the books.

To be the honest the career field of IT is always advancing as technology advances so hit the books and with your determination anything is achievable through hard work and persistence. Best wishes and lets know how you do get on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Matt,

That's another vote from me. I understand your concerns, but there is nothing like learning on the job. Try and learn as much as you can about your set-up, so when things start playing up, you know where to start looking for tips, advice and coffee!

All the best - good luck :thumbleft

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Another vote from me to take the offer.
    To make the next step you'll have to be willing to take on change. Different responsibilities, new people, different industry all mean a change from your regular routine. If you're confident you can handle the job responsibilities, don't be afraid of change.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do it mate, sounds like a great job! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you feel comfortable enough doing it, I say go for it! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!