Career Crossroads

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Asterix, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys I am currently working desktop support for £30K P/Y with nearly 2 years experience and although this is fairly interesting role I am looking for a move into more of a server/Networking role to expand on my knowledge gained through MCSA. I have a Job interview for 25K at a data warehouse which seems pretty interesting, that would include basic networking, cabling and mostly server related tasks (including Linux/Unix that i have no experience, but they are happy for me to learn). Another interview I have is for a Technical Consultant for a rolling 6 month fixed contract for £25-30 P/H with the posibility of turning perm in a year penidng my performance. Until now i have been interested in developing my technical side but rather tempted by the contact position but feel this may pidgeonhole me for further roles and worried that I may not get that kind of salary in future if i chose this role. Is there a lot of demand for tech consultants dealing with Pre/After tech consultancy (As i have seen a greater demand for positions for 3rd line roles)?

2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Its a toughy, 30k a year is pretty good for desktop support work, especially if you are happy in what you are doing. With the economy the way it is I'd be tempted to pull the draw bridge up for the next 12 months and sit tight.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

your right £30K is great money for desktop support but moving forwards i don't want to be on this salary in 3/4 years and feel that moving to a lower salary for Server/Network support would be better in the long run! So i have basically decided to move and the real query is whether tech consultancy is going to be as good in the long run as moving to the next level of tech support whilst developing my tech exposure.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Technical consultancy is a good gig if you can get it.

Do you have any more info on that job? Might be a difficult one if you don’t have much server experience.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

It is pre/after sales demo and installation of security/AV equipment (mostly software related) for a German company who have no current technical staff in the UK although they have about 200/300 staff in Germany, I think the current head count of the UK staff is about 5/6 and they are looking to expand the company in the UK and find a tech consultant who has a good technical base, great customer service, willing to learn and develop relationships with clients. So sounds like this role could develop to perm if they feel i am suitable and company could expand quite rapidly in the UK.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds more like sales than IT... but I could certainly be mistaken.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed sounds like Tech Sales or Pre-Sales/After-Sales Support, but it could still be a valid move up, a client facing role could also help you break into consultancy proper.