Career changing newbie here 31yrs old

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by londonbiker, Apr 3, 2010.

1. londonbiker

londonbiker New Member

Hi all,

Well thought I'd introduce myself. I am a newbie on the forum (and the world of IT), so be nice :-)

Have been in marketing for 10 years in London, and fed up with it, so looking to get into my first love of IT. Specifically the networking, security and admin side of things.

Have no clue where to start so your advice would be welcome.

Hope to speak to you all, as had a sneaky look around the forum and it looks like a lot of people on here know their stuff.

Rob

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+
    WIP: Microsoft MCTS 2008 Active Dir
  2. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Depends a great deal on your current experience and where you currently work, if you're working for quite a large company, might want to look into an internal promotion and put the feelers out in the company? Also look at doing the A+ and Network+ cert and perhaps look into stuff like the Server+ as well.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi.

Welcome to CF! :D

So, does "and the world of IT" mean you're new to computers (being a competent user but nothing beyond that counts too)?

If so, I would recommend getting this book and reading through.
    Try to aim to pass CompTIA A+ exam this year as from next year this certificate will have to be renewed every 3 years.

By the time you get this, if you become a regular on this forum, you'll know what to do next.

Nothing stops you from looking for entry level job in IT now. However, without advanced knowledge the only position you would be suitable for would be helpdesk position answering phones and reading from script.
    This again will give you a good base and certainly during this period of time you will learn a lot. Combine it with hard work and hours spent reading and learning, unpaid of course, and eventually you'll get there. :D

Once you get a good understanding of topics covered in A+ build a cheap PC off parts from ebay, so you can "touch" what you are reading about.
    I'm sure other members will agree that seeing pin layout in the book is nothing compared to looking at real scsi, ide or sata connectors or memory slots.

Good luck.

P.S: Btw. In case you're wondering, it's not too late for you. :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. londonbiker

londonbiker New Member

Hey Simon & Luke,

Thanks for the speedy and useful responses. Have a few 'feelers' out with contacts I have known in marketing companies over the years, but guess i need some sort of certification for them to take me seriously, so your recommendations have been useful.

My current 'IT' experience is minimal, but have been working in online marketing companies for years (not that I have been involved with the tech side of the companies, as I have been in Client Services).

My hands on experience is all home based (other than day to day work on my computer at work), 2 desktops (1xPC, 1xMac) and 3 laptops (2xPC and 1xMac) which I have all networked together, although hardly difficult as todays operating systems pretty much handle a lot of the syncing, although a few issues between the two have been solved through help of google searches. I have now got a Netgear NAS system set_up for backup and storage etc.....but this is really the extent of it. I built my dektop PC, so fairly familiar with PC builds, but nothing beyond home networks.

Thanks to the responses so far.

Rob

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Rob 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. londonbiker

londonbiker New Member

Thanks Bluerinse :-)

Happy to be here......not so happy to be at work in my 'old' career when I'd rather be studying!

Rob

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Its far easier to study part time whilst earning than it is full time with no money, if you can afford to take a few months off to get things like the A+ and N+ sorted then go for it, otherwise if you don't have the money to take a hit like that definitely stay in work.

I should also point out that you should expect to take a salary hit, a 31 year old male coming into IT has to expect the same kind of salary that an 18 year old will get coming into IT as you are both starting at the bottom of the IT career ladder. Harsh I know, but true (and one of the reasons I haven't changed careers in 10 years).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. londonbiker

londonbiker New Member

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your response. Yep, completely agree that it will mean a complete back to basics salary so will be an interesting ride! I am not fooling myself to think I am going to walk into a well paid role, in fact quite the opposite, I figure I may need to do some free work to just get a foot in the door of even the lowest paid job! Good thing I have a taste for bread and butter rather than caviar ;-)

Rob

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009