Career change

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Ahivie, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Ahivie

Ahivie New Member

I would like to know which Certification to start with.

I got the CCNA in 2002 and worked for 2 years as a network administrator then switched over to marketing in 2006. I want to go back to IT and unsure of which certification to get . I will want to get the book knowledge before applying for jobs.

Please advise

2. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

hello!

What area of IT were you thinking of going back into?

Have you looked at recertifing as a CCNA? Check out the Cisco website, all the information you need is there.

Good Luck.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  3. Ahivie

Ahivie New Member

Thank you. I will want to go back into Networking and will recertify as CCNA

Cheers

4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Good luck. I'm hoping to get the ICND1 (the CCENT exam) within the month. With the CCNA following within the year (although with the new syllabus, it might take a little longer depending on how quickly I can find a good book and how insane my workload at work is!)

The Net+ is a solid exam. There are some good free resources on line. I've posted a few in a thread over on the Net+ forum - including some resources for Juniper, a Cisco rival who seem to be quite up-and-coming!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  5. bbel121

bbel121 Bit Poster

Not to steer you away from Cisco, but you might want to look at breaking in with desktop support(more opportunities) and then complimenting that with a cisco ccna cert which is a little more narrow in focus and there are obviously less ccna jobs that microsoft. you can always get the ccna experience while on the job taking on some of the higher level help desk tasks in most companies. the reason i say this is that in the fortune 500 company i work for, our entry level CCNAs simply stare at a monitoring screen of our network and engage an engineer when a threshold alert is exceeded. Just a thought.