Career Change

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by marinemaniac, Jul 27, 2010.

1. marinemaniac

marinemaniac New Member

Hi All,

Have been looking into a career change for sometime now and decided IT is the area I am most interested in.
    I have a BSc Computing Science but have been caught up in Sales since I graduated in 2000. Now the sales arena is not one I want to continue with.

Have been looking into course providers, had a conversation with Computeach yesterday which was possitive. Joskos have called but was a very short chat and the promised email has not yet arrived! NITLC are coming around tomorrow to discuss what I am looking for. Any comments on any of these would be appreciated.

It seems the best place to start would be A+ and Net+ then moving onto MCDSA. From there it appears the best route would be to get into a support position to build up experience. Then I could choose to work on an MCSE to gain further certs while getting the work experience. any comments about this route?

Now that I have come accros this forum it has identified the option of self study, has this been widely adopted and succesful?

Any suggestions or comments will be much appreciated, this has been a rather long introduction so apologies for that!

Merv

Certifications: None
  2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Do you mean mcdst mate?

EDIT: Personally I would study urself through self study mate, I wouldn't trust any training provider unless recommended by someone on this forum, I have had many bad experiences. Its cheaper to teach yourself. Hope it goes well!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You've had three years of fulltime tuition already, thats 3 years more than most people who embark on the A+ and N+, they are at about the same level as year one modules on a degree, nothing you shouldn't be able to handle yourself along with a good book and certforums ! :D

Send the TP salesmen packing, or hide behind the sofa when they come round...

4. marinemaniac

marinemaniac New Member

Thanks for the info, and yes I did mean MSDST!

Since I posted I have read a few more posts about self study and training providers, I think some book shopping is in order! Have 2 PC's at home with another to fix up so should be able to cobble together what I need equipment wise! Just have to get hold of Windows XP Pro but that should not be a mamouth task!

Thanks for the advice so far!

I think it will be interesting having the TP guy around, having been in sales for many years I would like to see what he tries!!

Merv

5. marinemaniac

marinemaniac New Member

OK so it's MCDST!! maybe I should take a typing course from the TP??

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would recommend the Microsoft MCDST books as thats what I used and found them really good. As pointed out I wouldn't go down the route of using a TP for the MCDST as it's a waste of money and stay away from these all in one packages that a lot of TP's offer to do like an A+, N+, MCSA/MCSE as they are too much to take in all at once.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. marinemaniac

marinemaniac New Member

Many thanks,

I take it the books are all available online from various sites?
    Any particular updates I should look out for?

Merv

8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I tend to only really use Amazon to buy my books as they tend to be the cheapest. When I buy books I tend to look at the reviews that people have left. Amazon.com tend to have more reviews on each book then Amazon.co.uk. This usually gives you a good idea if the book is good or not or picking 1 book out of dozens on the same subject matter.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. marinemaniac

marinemaniac New Member

Many thanks, have used amazon a few times so will stick with that!

Merv

10. rsmithone

rsmithone Bit Poster

what ever you do do not go with computeach they will rip you off and rob you blind over priced no support that they promise you i have no good words to say about compuscam

WIP: comptia a+
  11. marinemaniac

marinemaniac New Member

Many thanks,

Have opted for self study for at lease the A+, Net+ and will see what the situation is for MCITP or MCSDT.

Merv