Career Change - Part 2

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jayserrao, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jayserrao

jayserrao New Member

Hi guys,
    I know that there has been a previous post before but here is my dilemma.

I am a Financial Accountant by trade (Qualified by Experience) and I'm looking to get into a career in IT. The main reason for this is purely the monotonous nature of Accountancy. I have been looking at various courses online/day/weekend study etc and as I mentioned in my greetings post, I have been using this forum as reference for all of it.
    I have now come to a decision of pursuing the CCNA course due to its demand. I also want to be more of a hybrid professional (Finance and Cisco Network Associate) cos I feel it would put me in demand in the Financial Services sector. Not sure though!
    However, Commsupport seem to carry out a decent 12 day intensive course for this. http://www.commsupport.co.uk/02_12day.htm

Its a bit pricey for me as I work freelance but can probably afford to pay for this course courtesy CC and partner's support.

My question to you all is this.
    a) What are my job prospects after completing a CCNA course?
    b) What would my starting salary be?
    c) The course link I've posted above is fairly comprehensive and targeted at people like me. Zero knowledge of networking etc. But do I require knowledge of A+ and Network + to compliment my CCNA?
    d) The job climate for Finance profs like myself is looking grim for the next few years. How is the climate for CCNA professionals?

Once again, I appreciate all your inputs and answers. I want to get the ball rolling as soon as I can, financially and time wise.

Cheers guys

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Jayserrao,

Can I ask what made you decide on the CCNA as your first cert? Its not really an entry level cert, and if you have zero knowledge with networking, I certainly wouldn't recommend the CCNA. I know the link states that the course is made for people with no experience/knowledge, but its complete crap. If you have no knowledge of IT in general, I would go for the A+ and N+ and see how you get on.

In answer to your questions...

a) The same as they are now to be honest. A CCNA cert with no experience is pretty worthless. I think you, or anyone else, would really struggle to find a job where they'd let you loose on Cisco kit with *just* a paper cert.

b) Starting salary? Low. You'd have to start at the same level as everyone else, which isn't great, but its gaining the experience that is important when your starting out in the field.

c) I certainly do not agree that any CCNA course is a good idea for anyone with "zero" knowledge. I know people who have taken a good year to do CCNA, and thats with previous knowledge, do you really think 12 days would suffice?

d) I dont hold the CCNA so its hard to say, but the IT sector in general seems to suffer in times like these. Although saying that, there are still jobs out there for sure.

What i've said is just my opinion and im sure other, more experienced, members will come along and lend a helping hand as well. Although I think they may well agree with me.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

To work with Cisco kit? Virtually zero.

For an entry level IT support job £15k-18k

The A+ and Network+ would be a bit help.

No idea. I don't really know what a CCNA professional is tbh but IT, like every other profession just now, is getting caught up in the recession.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dont do anything purely on a demand basis. The demand may change and how do you know you will like working with any given technology?

a) I would have to say nil if you haven't already used Cisco Kit. It would be a bit like someone in ST John's ambulance learning to use brain surgery equipment. No harm in it, but not what the recruiter is looking for.
    b) Take a look on some of the bigger agency sites (such as reed, manpower) and see what wages are being offered.
    c) I would say A+ and N+ are an excellent foundation to any IT personel.
    d) Not sure. Some say that a lot of work that was off-shored serveral years ago is coming back.

Sorry if this comes across as negative - it's not my intention to demotivate you.
    Best of luck!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what they said.

Certs like CCNA,MCA and MCSE are for people who already work in those certs respective areas.

Having high level certs like those without the experience can go against you when looking for a job.

Entry level certs are A+,N+ and MCDST and you starting salary could be as low as 14k and not much higher than 16k. Until you have experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. jayserrao

jayserrao New Member

Hey guys,
    Phew, that was something going through all those posts. Honest opinions do hurt as they say! But thanks for opening my eyes.
    Ok, so what would you recommend me to do then? I am looking for a career change and now is the time. But I don't know where to start. So when I look at courses offering a lucrative wage, of course I'd be sucked in.
    I did have a chat with the IT manager at my place of work who recommended CISCO to MS certifications. Not that MS are bad or anything, but he said CISCO is in demand and will always be.

The thing is, I got bills to pay like everybody else and I'm looking for an IT course to switch me to another career with a minimal financial hit. For e.g. say I'm earning 30K at the moment, I can stretch to start at 25K as a starting point in another career but no lesser than that. Would appreciate if anyone could recommend me an IT courses that could help me achieve that. Again, the reason I chose IT is because in High School I chose C++ programming as one of my modules. I enjoyed making basic programs and did well overall but didn't pursue it when I hit programming with objects. This is one of my regrets...but life goes on as they say!

Again, I appreciate your posts and most importantly your help.

Many thanks,
    Jay

7. Sparky

Just out of intrest could I change career and be a Financial Accountant and start on £25k?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. jayserrao

jayserrao New Member

Hello mate,
    Yes you can. If you do an AAT/Line 50 course, you can very well start off with 22-24k easy. And if you become a qualified CIMA/ACCA accountant, then more.

Yes there are jobs that start out at 18k, however that would cater to people with no educational background whatsoever. By saying that, I can see your point as there are so many employers these days offering 18k as starting with appropriate education.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

IT used to be paid well but when the dot come bubble burst so did the wages. There's no harm in you doin the cisco cert it just maybe harder for you to get a job with it.

Entry level certs are compTIA A+ (general computing) ,N+ (networking) and MCDST (supporting xp and apps).

Not many people walk straight into a networking position regardless of certifications and qualifications, most start at the bottom and progress.

Some people on here have got the CCNA but found it hard to get a job as it's supposed to reflect your on the job experience so they have had to take any mention of the CCNA of their cv to get a job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Sparky

Ahh, no probs mate.

Looking at your first IT job have you seen any Cisco jobs that *only* want the CCNA? I havent seen any as they always ask for some experience.

11. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Cleaning up Bill Gates' afterbirth day after day for 15 years can be monotonous as hell, too.

Just sayin'.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  12. jayserrao

jayserrao New Member

:)

Cheers fellas for all your response. I am grateful as ever!