Career change in the North East

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dead beta, Jul 30, 2010.

1. dead beta

dead beta New Member

Hi guys n girls.

I work in leisure right now part time, it's got it's benefits, but IT is and always will be my main passion, I've built countless PCs and small home networks from friends and family and enjoy them phoning me for help.

A few weeks ago I was informed my position in leisure was under review and I could be without my job in a matter of months, so I thought, why not get any old full time job and re-train in the mean time?

So that's what I am doing, but here's how I came about this site:

My partner and I were looking into local colleges and what ICT courses were on offer, most wanted close to £750 for basic level 2 certs and for MCDST they wanted a full time commitment and £1500... :eek:

Then I found a flow chart outlining possible routes into ICT and found alternative certs, namely the A+ and N+, so after much confusion and Googling, I found this site and for the last 2 weeks I have been sat on the fence reading everyone's posts and I made my decision!

I've order the Meyers A+ 7th Edition All in One book and bookmarked a few online learning resources as advised by all of you lot, now my journey starts, I have 2 test centres within 10 minutes drive from me so hopefully I will be A+ certified at some point next year. I'm in no hurry to complete them, I understand they have to be updated every 3 years if not done by December, but I won't manage that, so 2 exams every 3 years is a very small price to pay compared to possible wages of ICT jobs. :)

I plan on getting some experience on a voluntary basis in my current job (local council - big ICT department) and hopefully in a local PC repair shop too!

Basically, THANK YOU, for this incredibly invaluable website, I know you're all going to be a great help in my quest for my first ICT job! :)

Disclaimer: Further posts won't be as long winded and boring to read! :oops:

WIP: A+
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Good luck with your studies, you may surprise yourself with the A+ its infinitely doable before the end of the year!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D, and good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. dead beta

dead beta New Member

Really?

At 1300+ pages and 2 exams I'd have though it would take a lot longer, maybe I'm selling my own abilities short, I will give it a go though! I guess if I pass and just scrape through in a hurry I can still continue to read the book and learn in further detail in my own time!

My planned path thus far looks like this; A+, N+, MCDST (hopefully I'll be working in some ICT capacity by this point) then I can judge my weaknesses and do further training accordingly.

5. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF and best of luck for your studying:biggrin

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Its pretty much all down to how much study time you can put in, you say you've built PCs for friends and family and apparently enjoy being the go to IT guy for everyone (something which many of the rest of us find gets to be a pain in the arse fairly fast) so nothing in the A+ should be beyond you.

With a couple of hours study a day it shouldn't take you more than a couple of months to get through all the material and be ready to have a crack at the exams. The trick is to be dedicated in your studying (I wasn't so it took me frikkin ages).

Your planned path looks pretty good, just remember theres nothing to stop you applying for entry level IT roles now just get your CV up to date, make a big thing of any customer service experience you have and start getting your name out there!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's a good path. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. dead beta

dead beta New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll give the A+ my best shot for December's closing date. I only work part time and I'm always at my PC at home, so dedicating the time shouldn't be too hard.

I have quite a few old PCs in the loft that I can use as course tools so I'm all set to go!

I'm excited and nervous. :oops: