Career Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Professor-Falken, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I need some advice I recently arrested for battery on an elderly. Even though the charges were false,
    I had to decide whether to go to trial or to accept a deal that the state was giving me. Under the guidance of my lawyer and friends, I accepted the deal given to me by the state, which was a felony charge of withhold of adjudication with probation. Under this deal I was placed on probation a 1yr and 6months and once probation was completed my record would be expunged or removed. Some companies have denied me work because of this and others are still considering my circumstance. Does anyone have any advice? Any thoughts.
    What should I ready for?

Thanks

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Whilst it might not be career advice (and a little late) I would suggest not admitting to the battery of an elderly person if you didn't do it - and get another lawyer.

Sorry but I don't blame companies for not employing people with criminal records.

3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Why are you doing the time if you didn't do the crime? If this allegation was false then why have you accepted an agreement that basically f*cks you over - employment wise - for a 18 months?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

who is your Lawyer? Lionel Hutz from the Simpsons

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

I have to admit GBL, your one-liners are getting better and better! The JFK one was funny but the above is hilarious! LOL

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

cheers :), Well if a lawyer told me to admit to something I didn't do just to get the filth of my back for a bit I'd tell him to **** off and get another lawyer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It probably doesn't do you any good to say that I would never have accepted punishment for something I didn't do. However, I don't have any methods for you to fix the problem you've gotten into. You've been given probation, and unfortunately, you can't magically "make it go away".

I'd suggest that you keep applying until you find someone who will give you the chance, or who won't ask you any questions about previous criminal behavior, or who will not run a background check. Other than that... dude, there's really nothing that can be done. Sorry, man.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

You’ve accepted the charge on a crime you didn’t commit, and now you're labeled a criminal. That’s tough (if you didn’t commit the crime) and since I don’t know the circumstances, all I can suggest is the same as what's stated above. Maybe a legal professional (criminal lawyer / employment lawyer) can advise better.

Hopefully a company will give you a break.

9. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Even if I were willing to hire you, I will still be prohibited from doing so by my insurance company. My liability insurance requires that myself and my employees all have clean records in order to be bondable. There's no way I could hire you until your criminal record was expunged.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don’t admit it if you didn’t do it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs