Career advice needed.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fire guy, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Fire guy

Fire guy Bit Poster

Hi all.

Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with A+ my thoughts are turning to what type of job I would like to end up in.
    At the moment I work as a service engineer in the fire protection industry. There are many things I love about the job I do, like working from home, being able to plan my own working days, visiting a wide variety of locations, meeting lots of different people. But there are plenty of things that I don't enjoy like having to work in the dirtiest corners of factories/warehouses that never get cleaned, monotony and most important of all the lack of career progression.

So what would be really helpfull is if any of you cool CF ladies and gents could offer suggestions or advice on a career path that would lead me to a job that includes the positives mentioned above.

What I really enjoy doing is problem solving and fixing things.
    I quite like the look of networking but have not seen enough of it to be sure.
    I'm not averse to spending maybe a couple of years in an office/workshop in order to learn but don't fancy that sort of situation in the long term.

All advice received with gratitude.

Ivan

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Ivan,

I am pleased to hear of your high spirits. The trick is to stay positive, focused, determined and be prepared for plenty of study and practice.

In all honesty, changing career is always tricky; employers usually want people to start that can <cook on gas> on day one. I believe that everyone is entitled to a chance to change, and you will have one too.

You already have a field based job where you self manage yourself, are customer facing and meeting different challenges everyday. Employers like these things- I know I had a similar position only a year ago and they helped me along the way.

Good luck :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

All jobs including IT jobs have their pros and cons. IT jobs can be boring at times and you may well find yourself covered in muck from time to time, I know I do. You may also find yourself working long hours and at unsociable times. I doubt the perfect job exists for you.

People get paid to work, the work we do should be enjoyable and interesting but it is still work. We work to get money, we do things other people can't or don't want to do for money.

If you find a job that is a bed of roses and pays lots of money, please let me know :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Concentrate on those things, Boycey hit the nail on the head.

Think about what you want to get into? You like networking? Put the anacronym 'NOC' into your jobsearch, focus your CV on networking and your passion for it.

Look at N+/CCNA-INTRO for your next cert, employers love focus and drive and determination and direction as well as the skills you already have.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you ever have to install some cat 5 then you can end up anywhere! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs