Career Advice for Support Analyst tring to get into 3rd line

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Adzmobile, May 6, 2011.

1. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

I managed to pass my ITIL today! woohoo.... anyway..

Im a support analyst been in IT for around 3 years now and been working in few sectors.. Legal.. Charity.. Medical.. but i've been mainly doing 1st/2nd line work well thats what i think im not totally sure if you guys could give me some advice and guidance i would very much appreciate it..

So this is what experience i currently have.. and im tring to progress my career but im hitting abit of a brick wall.. i feel this way neway.

I have worked with the usual 1st 2nd line work.. so fixing printers.. basic fixes... troubleshooting pcs/laptops installations... troubleshooting applications like legal softwares and basically whatever general problems you encounter day to day in a working environment.

However i have also been involved with an email migration project.. so understanding how all users are currently accessing emails.. creating the spreadsheet to import all users into new system using csv files.. liasing with hr who has left the company... tidying up active directory so.. removing all users not required.. setting up new profiles.. exchange tasks such as exporting pst files.. training assistant how to migrate users and use exchange.. arrange with users when to do the migration.... setting up quotas for exchange mailboxes also with blackberrys migrating them.. so wiping and so forth..

Ive also trained up engineers helping them with the outlook importing the new data and creating mapi accounts so forth..

now.. i seem to be still doing work in 1st 2nd line roles...I mainly do contracting.. This doesnt seem to help me with moving more into 3rd line and doing tasks more server related.. i mean i've helped during when server disk space running low so installing new drive and partitioning disk drive.. ect..

Also done things like set up forefront for spam filter... set up a helpdesk for call logging..

What do you think would be something i should be really learning to really show that i am capable for 3rd line and also demonstrating this...

even if this means taking exam or so.. what exam would be best?

Sorry if im unclear please do ask and i will try explain better... just tring to give a overview of myself.. I really want to progress into 3rd line and get out of these 'basic' fixes for users like the printer broken and my keyboard not working..

Cheers guys... honestly any advice will be helping.. appreciate alot! :biggrin

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  2. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Easiest thing to do I guess, is pull up as many job adverts for the position you are looking to get into. Identify the common educational requirements and then go for those certs. If all the qualls and experience you have doesn't tally up with the future role you are after, then you have some work to do.

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE