Career Advice:Degree+Certifications

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by karan1337, Jul 27, 2010.

1. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Hello again people. There' a bit of confusion again in my mind regarding my degree in Computer Science and my current certification track.

I'm currently pursuing B.E (Bachelors of Engineering, Computer Science).
    Regarding certification track, i CANNOT pursue MCSE as i'm not having the required experience (if i get that later while working, i may pursue it). I've to finish my MCDST by the end of this year( 70-272 is still left), the moving onto the MCSA track ( MCTS (vista), that also gives MCITP) and the 2 core MCSA exams. That's the most i can do in the next 2 years.

And by that time, i would be finishing off my degree as well. Is a degree in Computer science with MCSA is good enough for a decent job? My main interest is in three things:- Operating Systems, Networks (Security) and some programming. I've hands on experience in my family's office network, however it can only lead me to completing MCSA as the network is quite small and most of the time i'm at college in a different city.

I'm also thinking about doing network certifications, starting from the basic to build some foundation (proved by the certificate) and then moving onto CEH (yes, i love security)

I've heard people say that it's better to do some entry level tech work while getting a degree and then apply for jobs after you're done with it. In my degree we're supposed to do two trainings at different companies but that does not count towards job experience.

Based on the interests, what sort of job roles will i be eligible to apply for? Secondly, is doing a Master's degree worth it after completing Bachelors. I'm not that interested in theories and stuff. I would rather gain some more working experience and pursue higher certifications.

Advice needed :)

Thanks in advance

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science