Problem Cant work with loud server.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulwatson5, Oct 16, 2011.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Ok guys, here's my situation.

I have been after a propper server for a while now and just been given a Dell 1600SC tower server.
    Its in quite good condition and has got 1 x 2ghz Xeon Processor, 3GB DDR, 4 x 36GB SCSI HDD's and a nice Dell tape drive.

At the minute i have a Dual Core AMD X2 4200 as my test server but wanted a Xeon server so i can expand by adding a 2nd processor and add more drives etc if and when required.

But....... the server is WAYYYYYY to noisy to be kept on 24/7 but i really want to use some of the stuff.

Do you know if the scsi drives and tape drive etc can be transfered to my main pc? Or is the scsi card etc specific to the server??

I though i would open it up and give it a clean to see if that helped with the noise situation but its immaculate inside.

ANy help would be much appreciated!!

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Is it the CPU cooler that is generating all the noise ?

If so, you could try replacing it with a quieter one from overclockers or quietpc.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest the older Dell servers are loud (ok that relatively speaking, depending on the amount of noise you're use to).

The Dell 1600SC server are pretty old now and with modern technology, it would be more useful to use your home pc upgrade the CPU (why add more processors when you can add more cores :) ) and add a cheap NAS/iSCSI for storage. But it does cost :(

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Been a while since I have worked on 1600SC but I think the RAID controller is on the mobo and the SCSI card is used for the tape drive.

No reason why you couldnt move the SCSI card into your PC (if it fits) but are you really gonna have the space for 4 HDs when you could just buy a couple of modern drives instead?

Perhaps just fire up the server when you need to use it rather than having it on 24/7?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Put it in a different room and control it via. RDP? :D

6. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

I was given a Dell Power Edge 2600 a couple of years ago and set it up in my garden shed because of the noise.

I got a HP Microserver (HP ProLiant Athlon II Neo N36L MicroServer.. | Ebuyer.com) in the summer which is very quite and can sit on the shelf in my study. I have loaded SBS2008 and run my domain from it. It does not have SCSI so I can't have a tape drive but given the one I had was a Dat72 which would only hold 36GB of data on one tape I now use Backup Exec to backup to an extenal hard drive. It only has RAID 0 or 1 and not 5 but not a great loss. I did upgrade the memory to 8GB and added 2 X 2TB hard drives for storage.

Regards

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  7. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Had a look in the BIOS as i thought there might be a fan controll setting like there is on some HP servers but there was nada, zip, nowt, nothing.

So, decided to unplug both of the hefty case fans and expected a POST error but it booted straight past it without error to my suprise.

The system is a lot quieter now but obviously cooling may now be an issue.

Will install an OS at the weekend or whenever i get time (sit my A+ on Wednesday so revising for that) and will see if i can get a temp control program to see what the temps are and see if it is worth keeping the fans out of there.

Does anyone know if the Dell 1600SC is 32 or 64 bit?

I'm presuming its just 32 bit but that will be enough for what i need it for but may replace the current 2.0ghz processor with 2 x 3.2ghz Xeon processors as thats the max that the board will take.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +