Cant see me??

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kat731, Mar 6, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    this networking does my head in!!!
    Have got my main machine seeing 3 other networked pcs all connected to my router. Can change files etc on those machines. the prob is none of those pcs can seem to see the main one?? I just get unavailable network, MShome not available, get permisssion or something, i cant remember exactly now. iv turned off their firewall etc, im doing something wrong, but cant solve it!!!
    Thanks,
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Firstly, are all machines members of the same workgroup (assuming at this stage it's not a domain) ? Also, on the "invisible" machine, do you actually have something shared, ie a folder - anything for the others to actually see ?

Only starting with the basics for now :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Gav,

yeh thats whats weird. One of the machines saw all the shared folders on the main yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But now no way jo'se!! All on MSHOME..
    K

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Kat, make sure the XP firewall on the LAN NIC is either disabled or configured with an expeption for your internal network. I presume you have *File and Printer Sharing* installed in your TCP/IP properties? Also you might want to turn off *Simple File Sharing* as that only seems to work with the *Shared Docs* default shared folder.

Can you access the shares via a UNC path i.e. \\pcname\sharename ??

Have you set up users with the same user name and password on all the boxes or at least enabled the Guest Account?

Are you running XP Home or Pro?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

But Pete, if the machines could see the folders yesterday, and not today, it can't be anything that drastic that has changed.

I'm guessing it's an IP addy issue at this stage, but the brain is fading fast here.

No offence, Pete :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Pete,

ok, i'll try those things you said, XP Pro bye the way.
    Kat

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No offence taken Jak, but I was just pointing out some of the things which should be looked at in order for file sharing to work. I have had issues with similar things in XP, it can get frustrating in a workgroup environment. XP home is annoying too!

However, I agree assuming nothing has changed in the config of the PC since yesterday, then it can't be a configuration issue. I do know though that when trying to sort problems out some people change things, like re-install the TCP/IP stack in case of curruption and forget to include File and Printer Sharing, hence causing another problem. :rolleyes:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Ok, turned on machine 2 this morning. It can shows all my shared folders on the main under local network, but when i click one of them it says i dont have permissions to use this network resource, the network path was not found!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kat

9. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Right this is ridiculous!!!!!!!

Just messing about on machine 2. Still saying permissions blah blah when clicking workgroup computers. So, tried mapping network drive to main, and its connected??????????? have now clicked workgroup computers and the main is there now?????????? weird.. what am i doing wrong??
    Although its ok now, its bound to happen again>>>

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

If it's a workgroup have all of the users got the same user name and password? Worth a thought :blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

windows networking in a workgroup environment is suprisingly flakey actually, always has been
    I recommend trying to move away from the method of 'using network neighbourhood'

check you can access it via UNC using the ip address

\\192.168.0.1\share1

im guessing from the fact that the 'main' machine can see the other three, then all IPs are correct and working

check the machines are all running the 'Server' and 'Browser' service

also flush your ipconfig dnscache if your using dns :)
    ipconfig /flushdns

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0