Can't remove graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Belmont, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Belmont

Belmont Bit Poster

Hello,
    I've got an Nvidia GF 6600 GT PCI-E card and I can't remove it from the machine. Have to buy a new one, cooler's going mad. :(
    There's some cables attached to the card through a plastic joint, and I just can't pull that joint apart. Actually, I don't know if it is possible at all, without using some special tool or something. I don't want to break the whole thing.

see here

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Certifications: none related
    WIP: Master CIW Web Site Manager
  2. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

These are the power cables: they will come apart, but yes, they are often really stiff and hard to separate.

Use a pair of needle-point pliers and 'wiggle' as you pull the connector away.

Or just keep wiggling with your fingers.... getting sore? Dripping blood onto the mobo? Ha! Welcome to IT!!!!!! :hahaha

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  3. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

As already said. Or take a hammer to it :P

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Done that more times than I care to count. :cry:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Yes you are not a real IT guy until you leave chunks of flesh and blood on the inside of a case, still got some lingering scars on my fingers from hungry cases :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You get used to it sooner or later if you constantly mess around with the cases.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hah, I remember when I first started messing around with the internal organs of my pc, and like you, I used to get a bit worried about how stiff these connections felt.

Like everyone else is posting, this is just part of the game, so go ruin your finger tips and you'll know you're doing something right :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Had to replace two groaning case fans in my home PC this morning. One of the fans wouldn't come out, and I just KNEW I was gonna bloody a knuckle. The other fan was difficult going in... the new fan was slightly different on the sides - they had corner side posts blocking where some brackets were supposed to hook - so I needed to bend those brackets out of the way... using whatever tool was available in my office. And again, I just knew I was gonna scrape my hand, or worse, slip and smack the mobo.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

thats a standard 4-pin molex power connector, just give it a wiggle and a yank and it should come free. hope you just replacing the cooler and not the entire gfx card ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

just to jump in on this one! I would suggest removing the card with the power connector on (if there is enough length in the wire). This way you can hold the card properly, hold the connector properly and there is less chance of damaging the mobo.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I was going to say the same Boyce but I worried about the chance of miss handling of the card and/or the risk of hitting the mobo etc. :p

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+