Can't load Windows XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tdooley, Feb 6, 2007.

1. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

I've been trying to sort out a Hewlett Packard D230MT PC at work. When I switch it on, it starts to load Windows XP Professional but then reboots again. I've had a look on HP's website but can't find any solution. No error messages seem to appear during the process to give me any idea what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Tony

WIP: MCDST, then start on MCSA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried booting in safe mode? Press F8 when booting up and select safe mode.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

if it boots into safe mode then its proberbly a driver issue, is this a spanking computer or has anything happened to it recently that lead up to the error, have your tried reinstalling xp?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hi mate - we dont mind helping with issues, but as this is a work pc, you may be locked out of certain items i.e. safe mode plus would IT allow you changin settings?

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think the poster is "IT", if not get them to fix it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

tdooley,

Does the rebooting happen at the same point in the boot sequence? If so, which part of the boot sequence does it successfully complete prior to rebooting?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. tdooley

tdooley Bit Poster

Yes, if I trying going into Safe Mode it just reboots again.
    Tony

WIP: MCDST, then start on MCSA
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I'll ask r.h.lees question again..

At what point in the boot sequence does it re-boot. In safe mode you can observe the OS files as they get loaded. There may be a clue if you can determine this.

Otherwise I would suggest to try LKG or an OS repair.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I had a problem like this yesterday on my home gaming rig. I reset my BIOS before anything else to take the system back to its suitable factory configs then booted up, going into the BIOS to adjust and confirm settings for my hardware. This allowed the system to boot XP and I was able to uninstall the offending software (in this case a game with the nasty Starforce copy protection system) and now the PC is A-Okay!

I'd initially thought that it was a mobo problem, and Abit suggested that I essentially take apart my PC and test the components on known-to-be-working systems. Yeah, right! As if!

Just took it from first principles. Sometimes a simple thing like resetting to hardware defaults which takes the best part of fives minutes, can save OS reinstalls and lengthy individual testing of components.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.