cant get two laptops to connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networks' started by bagedntaged, Mar 11, 2008.

1. bagedntaged

bagedntaged Bit Poster

hey guy's looking for some help, i got two laptops (one with xp pro, the other vista) both connected wirelessly to a belkin f5d7632-4 the problem is that recently for some strange reason only one laptop can connect through it to the internet at a time (dosn't matter wich one is connected the other will not connect). Where as before both could connect without any problem. i have checked all the settings on the router and reinstalled the settings that worked, i cant find any settings on either laptop that has changed, unless i have overlooked something.

thanks for any suggestions and help i'm at a bit of a loss as is my college lecturer :blink

Certifications: hnd cans
    WIP: bsc computer/network support
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Can they both connect to the router at the same time?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. bagedntaged

bagedntaged Bit Poster

the one that isn't online comes up with connected to belkin54g access limited connectivity. although i can connect to the router through it and go into it's settings etc.
    every time i try to let windows diagnose the problem it says there isn't one.

4. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

other than checking the settings on the router have you made anyother changes? updated firmware etc

WIP: A+ Network+
  5. bagedntaged

bagedntaged Bit Poster

no the firmware hasn't been updated, i was considering this but thought against it for now, as the the two laptops up untill recently would connect at the same time without any problems. however it looks like i might go down that road later tonite and see what happens, whats the worst thing that could go wrong:rolleyes::biggrin

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I keep hearing people mentioning disabling ipv6 in vista, don't know whether that is relevant in this case?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

whats the signal strength like?
    where do you have the router? (is it on the floor or next to a cordless phone etc)
    have you tried resetting the router?

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

if its limited connectivity, it sounds to me like they are both using the same IP. are you using DHCP? or are you assigning static IP's to the lappys?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. bagedntaged

bagedntaged Bit Poster

i am using dhcp, the signall strength is excellent and ipv6 and ipv4 are disablled in vista.

10. bagedntaged

bagedntaged Bit Poster

checked the dhcp client ip's and both lappys are there with different ip addresses and different mac adresses

11. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

You will need IPv4 on.

You can try using static IP's on the laptops

12. bagedntaged

bagedntaged Bit Poster

ipv4 goes between local and limited and ipv6 is stuck on limited

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Are you logged in on both as administrator? and are the passwords the same?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

sounds like it, but am sure vista and xp would msg ip conflict

open up a command window(Start->Run->Type "cmd" and hit enter) on both machines and type "ipconfig /all" then compare the results of your wireless adapter

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  15. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

try setting them both to static IPs and see what happens. (turn off the DHCP server in the router as well)
    could be that the DHCP reservation is 8 hours and when you connect one, the router is not releasing the address after it disconnecting

16. bagedntaged

bagedntaged Bit Poster

well guys guess what i got it going seems like it was a vista thing. i completely uninstalled everything to do with networking (including drivers) reset the router to the settings that worked (had been forking around with them) re-installed everything to do with networking on vista and hey presto both lappys are working fine. have no idea why it worked this time cause i have uninstalled and re-installed network components a few times. but it's working, i restarted both lappys and both connected without any probs. still a bit puzzled as to what caused it in the first place but there we go.

thanks every one for your help it is very much appreciated.

lewis

17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hey! that's cool to know you've resolved the issue and yep the world of IT is about problem solving and troubleshooting. The odd aspect though is that the solution is not always obvious:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell