can't delete private emails from shared calendar

Discussion in 'Software' started by michael78, May 16, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys does anyone know what I'm doing wrong. The MD's PA can't delete private emails out of his shared calendar on Outlook that she has input into his calendar. I've given her editor rights so am a little confused on what to do. Any ideas?

Cheers in Advance :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just give her administrator rights. That will solve the problem.... :twisted::biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i was thinking the same, give her full rights to the calendar, get them deleted, and then give her whatever rights she should have.

4. michael78

she has got editor rights to the mailbox. If I make her the owner of the calendar will this screw the MD's rights up and stop him from deleting private entries? She needs the ability to be able to do this anytime she needs to.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Slypie is this on outlook 2003 or 2007 edition?

Also making them an editor won't work if they are a delegate?

Permissions for out look shared calendar
    Look under the section "Share a custom calendar folder with everyone"

Also under Share your calendar by using Delegate Access

But to make the PA an editor you have to be logged into the MD profile, then setup the permission for the PA to edit or author through the email account of the MD not the PA!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. michael78

It's Outlook 2003 and sorry should of said I did set up the permissions on the calendar by sharing it from the MD's account and giving her specifically Publishing Editor rights (and kept the defaults of what permissions that gives the user). Should I of ticked the Folder Owner box as well? Would this of given her the ability to delete the private entries in his calendar. I should also point out that she created the private entries that she can't now delete.

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Slypie - when she created private entries was that on her calendar or the MD's??

Was she logged into the PC under her windows account or the MD's?:blink

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Ah right! that won't work if you have made her publishing editor, if you look at the link I posted earlier -
    it states

Publishing Editor Create, read, modify, and delete all items and files, and create subfolders. (Does not apply to delegates.)

you have to change the settings for delegates:-

"As the manager, your mail must be delivered to your mailbox on the Exchange server, not to a Personal Folders file (.pst) (Personal Folders file (.pst): Data file that stores your messages and other items on your computer. You can assign a .pst file to be the default delivery location for e-mail messages. You can use a .pst to organize and back up items for safekeeping.) on your computer.
    You and the delegate must use the same version of Office Outlook.
    "

source

9. michael78

Cheers mate for the reply. I think with your help I've sorted it. I thought that delegate access was just for Email and not anything else. I've changed the permissions and ticked allow access to private entries. It still didn't work but that might be a replication thing. I've asked her to reboot the PC at lunch and will let you know how I get on.