Cant decide what to do.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by pvfcpeely, Jan 31, 2010.

1. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

Few years ago i did my 70-290 exam and recently started 70-291 but where i work are considering upgrading to 2008 server so was thinking of scrapping doing my MCSA and going the 2008 version of the MCSA.

With only doing one exam i think its best to quit the mcsa now and throw myself into 2008 now so ive some experience for when the upgrade comes around, or should i carry on with what im going and just upgrade?

I'll end up doing virtually the same amount of exams but unsure which path to take.

Any advise welcome? Anyone else in a similar situation.

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT & HNC Business IT
    WIP: MCSA
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I would continue with the MCSA and whilst your at work you'll gain the required experience for the 2008 certs. You can also do the fast track.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

problem is im only in a first line role at work so doing get much hands on experience.

4. supernova

then a MCSA (or any server cert) isnt really for you yet, i would to other client certs.
    Doing a MCSA you should already have hands on experience with 2003 server tech.

5. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

i do from my previous job but i moved as i was missing some basic skills.

Dont want spend loads of time doing 2003 stuff when its going to be faised out by company and will struggle get a jobs due to lack of 2008 experience.

6. supernova

Its sounds that you have already made your mind up.

Personally i am doing the 2003 then fast track to 2008, i see many companies that use 2003 and have no plans to migrate for the foreseeable future. 2008 isn't hugely different in my opinion.

7. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

not quiet, ive got all the material for 2003 which is swinging me to carry on with the 2003 stuff and then upgrade like you are.

Its a big decision.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why not go for the server 2003 exams and then upgrade to 2008? You should find the server 2003 exams slightly easier as you have used the OS in a work environment.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs