Can't create a new project in ASP.net

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by sneezie, Sep 5, 2005.

1. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Oh dear, my self-study for my MCAD in VB.net isn't going very well. I'm stuck already and I haven't even started! Argh!!

I'm using MS Visual Studio.net 2003 and the Cassini web server (I'm using XP home, so don't think IIS works)

I tried to create a new ASP.NET Web Application and I got the following error message:

"The default web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the project folder at 'http:/localhost/WebApplication1' cannot be opened with the path '\\MyComputer\wwwroot$\WebApplication1'. The error returned was:

Unable to create Web project 'WebApplication1'. The UNC share '\\MyComputer\wwwroot$\WebApplication1' does not exist or you do not have access."

Can anyone help? Oh well, not the end of the world if I can't get this to work. Until I figure this out, I can always use Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 or ASP.NET Web Matrix, I can start a new project without getting error messages. But I really want this to work! :x

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that the problem may be your web server type.

Have you tried running Apache? Here is a guide to set it up on XP home.

Is wwwroot$ not something thats an IIS address?

3. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

I have tried to install the Apache server , but I get the error: "Installation Wizard Interrupted. The Installation Wizard was interrupted before Apache HTTP Server 2.0.54 could be completely installed."

Tried the different versions of Apache.
    Spent the past 1.5 hours googling on this problem, and trying out the solutions but to no avail. :(

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you tried trying to get IIS to work on XP home? I did a google for it and there are some 'Unofficial' fixes.

8)

5. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster