Cant concentrate on reading.....

Discussion in 'A+' started by paulwatson5, May 17, 2010.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hi guys, im currently studying for the A+ exam and im upto chapter 7 of 27 of the all in one book but its taken me a while. I find myself skim reading and now that i have a 6 week old son i dont get much time to read the book at all. The last few days i have been doing the practice exams and i have been passing both exams getting about 82-84% on both.

Would doing the practice exams be good enough to be classed as revision as i feel i know quite a lot of the stuff already in the book apart from networking and printers (i will read these sections of the book though).

What does everyone think of this??

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would be careful doing this.

Practice exams are good for telling you whether you are ready, and pointing you in the direction of problem areas to re-revise, but if you do them too often, you will simply end up learning the answers by rote. What this means, is that your scores will be artificially inflated, leading you to believe you are ready for the exam when you are perhaps not.

Perhaps pick up a copy of one of the exam cram books (I believe theres one for the A+), as this might help you revise in more discrete chunks - something you can pick up and read for two or three minutes at a time without feeling like you are being dragged away from it. Then you can follow up with problem areas in the AIO when you have time.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Fergal.

redoing practice exams over and over doesn't teach you anything as you will subconciously remember the questions and answers.

take the book slowly and don't skim it.

I usually do 2 or 3 20 minute sessions a day to stop me skimming.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Fergal's right. If you scored 82% taking a practice exam consisting entirely of questions you've never seen before, then you're probably ready. If you're scoring 82% on practice exams you've taken before, then it's hard to say whether you're ready or not. You could always purchase another practice exam from a respected provider to see if you're ready.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!